Spring steelhead or summer steelhead?

O

osmosis

Around here we basically have winter and then summer steelhead. the winter fish will be of very poor quality right now, and the summer fish are nice and fresh chromers.
Are you meaning spring chinook vs. summer steelhead?

troutdude

troutdude

A very good question Osmosis.

I have never heard the word "spring" connected with "steelhead" before. So, perhaps they were asking about a 'nook "springer".

M

metalfisher76

And AK gets spring and fall run steelhead. But yeah our winters are spent.

S

Specialed

Salem, OR and willing to travel for fish!!
Sorry-I was meaning "winter" or summer. Looking at the fish counts there are both going over the falls right now-I wasn't sure if the fish I recently caught was a summer steelhead. It was a perfect fish-very bright so sounds like it must be a summer fish. Thanks, Ed
Around here we basically have winter and then summer steelhead. the winter fish will be of very poor quality right now, and the summer fish are nice and fresh chromers.
Are you meaning spring chinook vs. summer steelhead?

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Mike123

Very simple, winters have adipose fins, summer fish don't. Now I know a few of you will chime in and say not all summers are clipped and not all winters have adipose fins... but for the most part this is what you go by.

This is just a rule for fish over the falls though.

S

Specialed

Salem, OR and willing to travel for fish!!
Thanks man-I was wondering how they could tell the difference going through the fish viewing windows.
Very simple, winters have adipose fins, summer fish don't. Now I know a few of you will chime in and say not all summers are clipped and not all winters have adipose fins... but for the most part this is what you go by.

This is just a rule for fish over the falls though.

H

halibuthitman

some canadian and alaskan rivers have strong runs of brite steel in them at least every two months, all year long... awsome..