Spoon fishing

R
rippin fish lips
1/2oz thomas lure - i have one sitting in my tackel right now.

I have used it a couple times but it just seems too big for the mac and willy.

Would it be a weapon of choice for any of you guys? I have never caught a fish on it yet.

Im thinkin it would be best for the big brooders in lakes and stuff ponds.

What places would you guys fish it at?

brandon4455
brandon4455
ive seen peoplecatch steelhead with those on the nestucca and they sell a lot of em in the tackle shop there in hebo. but, they looked 1/2oz to be but i couldn't tell ya. and for broder trout idk,it seems kinda big and it would spook the fish

bandon

Last edited:
R
rippin fish lips
yeah it is BIG! which is why it doesn't see much use, which i would love to change that. it is a rainbow. I thought it would be a good one for when the willy is a little high and cloudy in town, but it hasnt brought me any success.

I tried casting it on the slaw for some coho/nook/sea runs cuts but again, ended up with no luck with it. tried trolling it and everything. i guess its just a matter of putting it to use.

brandon4455
brandon4455
yeah that color works good for steelhead especially out in hebo.. but as far as the size it would definitely be better for higher water with a darker green tint to it. try fishing after a storm when the water is gaining its color back,should work great.

brandon

R
rippin fish lips
yeah i have caught many steelhead on the rainbow thomas.
It's my fav color 2nd would have to be all chrome

brandon4455
brandon4455
thats cool,atleast you can fish it knowing it can catch fish,and i know how you feel havin unfished lures i have a 7/8oz blue fox rattlin pixie LOL.

R
rippin fish lips
yeah i have a lot of trust in the all mighty rainbow thomas so i know i can get fish on the big ol' half oz thomas.

brandon4455
brandon4455
i wonder how far a steelhead could fit that in it's mouth LOL

R
rippin fish lips
ok enough hijacking this thread :D i would lvoe to see what other people think about this lure and where they would fish.... also there prefered place to fish it.

so lets keep it going guys!

brandon4455
brandon4455
sorry about that my bad.. hey,you could troll it right?

Troutski
Troutski
Spoon fishing....my true love. The Thomas spoons are deadly in any size, I have caught 10# fish on a 1/4 oz spoon and caught fish smaller than my lure on many occasions - the only thing keeping a fish off a spoon; is the spoon sitting in your tackle box.
I bet it would be great trolling deep and some what fast...JMOH

Chuck

C
CoastieFlo
Hey get it in front of a willing fish and steelhead will bite anything.

brandon4455
brandon4455
Troutski said:
Spoon fishing....my true love. The Thomas spoons are deadly in any size, I have caught 10# fish on a 1/4 oz spoon and caught fish smaller than my lure on many occasions - the only thing keeping a fish off a spoon; is the spoon sitting in your tackle box.
I bet it would be great trolling deep and some what fast...JMOH

Chuck
thats what thought,since it's a fairly good sized spoon it would be good trolling

R
rippin fish lips
brandon4455 said:
thats what thought,since it's a fairly good sized spoon it would be good trolling

yes ill have to try trolling it, and yes get anything in front a fish and the fish will bite. I mostly fish spoons when i go fishing because it is my absolute favorite lure to fish, i love the action they give, i always pull out my BIG OL' half oz when i fish, i try it in every hole i get to thats not to shallow, say about 4 feet or deeper, still have had no success. I WILL change that this coming up year tho, i will post a picture of the fish i catch with it to :) and the lure next to the fish!

H
halibuthitman
I would troll that spoon dead slow on leadcore the first week of may on Bucks lake in the sierra nevadas of california on may 3rd at 6;45 am and catch a 24 lb mackinaw..... otherwise, I would buy some smaller spoons and go for some steel head around here... once this biblical rainstorm ends-

H
halibuthitman
on second thought, make that may 20th... bucks may still be frozen on the 3rd this spring-