Some big ones!


Been doing real well lately in the suburban lakes. Good action on nearly every trip! All caught on corn and these weird Japanese pellets I ordered online. All fish released unharmed of course; even though they're technically an invasive species in these smaller lakes there's only a limited number for anglers to fish for and it's important IMO to let them go. Also there isn't really a good use for me personally to just justify keeping them.
 

Attachments

Aervax

Active member
Great pics. I love the sporting angle to your carp catching craft. It is something I need to try again one of these days. I used to fish for them often as a kid. I used 4 pound mono for them and remember some epic battles. Our best baits then were a small piece of nightcrawler on a size 10 hook, or a small ball of bisquick dough. Your bait choices sound much more sophisticated. Probably more effective as well.
 
Aervax;n603795 said:
Great pics. I love the sporting angle to your carp catching craft. It is something I need to try again one of these days. I used to fish for them often as a kid. I used 4 pound mono for them and remember some epic battles. Our best baits then were a small piece of nightcrawler on a size 10 hook, or a small ball of bisquick dough. Your bait choices sound much more sophisticated. Probably more effective as well.
Thanks! I've been experimenting with a lot of prepared pellets and boilies but you can never underestimate the effectiveness nightcrawlers and bread balls haha. There have been days where the simple stuff has sorely outfished the fancy baits and rigs.
 

Gulfstream

Active member
I used to fish for those when I was a kid.Corn was the bait of choice and they do pull hard!Those are some tanks!
 
I typically string my corn on hair rigs that allow the carp to suck in the bait without feeling the hook in the process. The pellets have little rubber bands that you use to bind them to the hooks since they're too brittle to hook.
 

Mr.Joshua

New member
Nice man, those are some big Carp! Awesome that you release them instead of drop kicking them on the shore.
Just curious, suburban lakes where? (Looked in your profile but didn't see a location, also says you have 0 posts so...)
 
Mr.Joshua;n603883 said:
Nice man, those are some big Carp! Awesome that you release them instead of drop kicking them on the shore.
Just curious, suburban lakes where? (Looked in your profile but didn't see a location, also says you have 0 posts so...)
That's kind of weird that they aren't showing up. As far as the lakes go I've gotten in trouble for revealing the exact locations of them publicly, as apparently bowfishermen or other people who kill the carp have previously read posts like this and then gone and destroyed the populations in these small lakes. Yes they are invasive but I value them for sport, just like with other nonnative species like bass.

However, I'd be more than happy to message you or others interested in C&R carp fishing privately about the locations!
 

Aervax

Active member
I have some local areas around Hood River and The Dalles that are loaded with carp that no one fishes for. What are the chances that I can get one of you "Carpaholics" to come out here and show me how it's done with hair rigs and state of the art bait and technique?
 
Aervax;n603914 said:
I have some local areas around Hood River and The Dalles that are loaded with carp that no one fishes for. What are the chances that I can get one of you "Carpaholics" to come out here and show me how it's done with hair rigs and state of the art bait and technique?
I'd love to go but that area is pretty far away from where I live. I've been pretty busy lately and I don't know how feasible it would be to make such a long trip.
 

Mr.Joshua

New member
I hear ya on not divulging exact locations and agree. I just moved to Central Oregon (Bend) and looking for some areas close to catch and release some Carp.
I'm really itching to hit the Dalles area soon... but I go after them with a fly rod.
 

Aervax

Active member
I have been fly fishing and tying flies, since I was 14. I would be even more interested in fly fishing for them. I am willing to share carp locations, but probably not publicly on the forum.
 

hobster

Well-known member
John Montana is the man for carp on the fly, have not seen him here in a while.I tied up some carp flies but have yet to use them, I hope to get out this summer. They are very simple to tie compared to most trout flies. I'd share any carp locations, seeing as how they are mostly catch and release and an invasive species.
Hey mustard, great fish by the way!
 

Mr.Joshua

New member
Anyone know of a spot closer to Bend? I haven't been able to explore much since moving here in September.
Carp flies are definitely fun to tie, size alone is refreshing after tying micro trout flies for so many years. Carp can be infuriating to get hooked up to on a fly at times. Caught them on hoppers, beetles, ants, crawfish, leech, San Juan worms, midges, cottonwood seed imitations etc. They will eat all kinds of stuff but they are super selective at times. Being able to see the take (sub-surface) is crucial...and awesome to watch!
 

igquick

Active member
Did you just hook the corn directly on the hook and cast out?

and can you kayak in some of these ponds? Pm me for C and R
 

Top