Soft beads for steel

K
killigan
Last winter steelhead season, I started fishing hard beads for the first time with great success. This year, I decided to give soft beads a try. Hobster showed me a 10mm UV Steelhead Stalker soft bead rigged up and I was amazed how great the presentation looked. So, I went out and bought a few different brands to test them out. Of course I grabbed a package of Steelhead Stalker soft beads, as well as B n R soft beads 12mm, and I ordered 10mm/12mm XFactor Tackle soft beads. I thought about getting a package of Lick-em Lure's soft beads too, decided to wait till I burn through a few first.
Does anyone have a favorite soft bead, or like using soft beads for steelhead? I haven't gotten my first steelhead of the year yet, I will post a picture when it happens! Cheers

K
killigan
So far, I have only found one negative aspect to a soft bead. Under the general statewide regulations, molded soft plastics are considered "bait", and can only be used on systems that allow bait. Found that interesting and wanted to share!

Know before you Go!

hobster
hobster
Good point Brandon, I recall reading that somewhere. Luckily we can use bait where we fish :thumb: have you fished the b&r's yet? I hear they slide down easily. I like the Steelhead Stalker method with the small bead in the middle, they stay on really well. I fished one almost all day until it finally loosened up mainly due to me accidentally hitting bottom. Plus I see those dudes on the river and they are pretty cool ;)

K
killigan
I have not yet had a chance to test them out, but I have some tied up on leaders a few ways. I have some tied up just like I would for hard beads; rubber bobber stop 2" above the hook with a sliding b n r bead. There is a piece of tubing that comes with the b n r beads, and it helps the bead slide on the line. If needed after testing, I will add a sequins between the stopper and the bead to help with sliding. Also, there is a rigging diagram on the back of the b n r package that shows a great way to rig them. You use 20# to 40# mono to tie a bobber stop knot on your leader 2" above the hook, and you leave a portion of the tag end closest to the bead, creating a barb that keeps the bead from sliding down easily. Slide the tube and bead down your line and it looks awesome. Can't wait till the weather clears up! :peace:

C
Camo
killigan;n601133 said:
So far, I have only found one negative aspect to a soft bead. Under the general statewide regulations, molded soft plastics are considered "bait", and can only be used on systems that allow bait. Found that interesting and wanted to share!

Know before you Go!

This type of nit picking by OFDW that leads to discouragement and lost revenue.
  • Bait: Any item used to attract fish that is not an artificial fly, lure or attractor. Molded soft plastic or rubber imitations of worms, eggs, insects, bait fish, crayfish, etc. are considered baits. Scent is not considered bait.
  • http://www.eregulations.com/oregon/fishing/general-statewide-regulations/
    Let's see the science behind this one. Might be time that a few at ODFW drop the keyboard and pick up a rod and reel!

The same happened when someone at ODFW, with good intention, thought it a smart idea to restrict barbed hooks only on the North Klaskanine. Probably not realising that the entirety of Youngs Bay fishery is considered a terminal fishery. That ruling changed quickly when loss of revenue became obvious. Many of us elected not to buy a licensee that year. Barbless hooks are still banned in the bay for fear on the OFF chance that a native bound for ''who knows where?'' will end up in someones freezer. I guess the gillnetters are using net-less nets!

And remember when some scientist at ODFW produced a study concluding that trees and snags were blocking salmon going up stream? So a program was implemented to remove trees from productive salmon habitat?

Rant over. Forgive me if I have OFFended anyone.