Skeins or egg sac for winter steelhead

G
Gannon
Just wanted to see who use's what for winters, I have both ready to go for my next fish and I like adding nectar the night before to both.

M
mrdrifter
I like spoons or a deadline nymph!

M
mastercaster
Skeins although I can see how you would get more life out of your bait with sacks

B
Billamicasr
I'll guess there aren't a great deal of the younger NW Steelie fisherpersons who've ever tied an egg sack. It's been a while since I've even seen the term mentioned in any thread.
With that in mind I just so happened to have fished lots of different bait in a sack and can tell you it is definitely effective in certain systems at certain times. Same can be said of skein eggs, metal and plugs... I like the rest of you never count on just one technique, especially when there are so many to choose from.

For the uninitiated; think woman's stockings cut in patches and those patches filled to the size of a quarter with a favored bait. Example; if I fished the Gualala River in NorCal in the early part of the season I'd likely fill the sack with oil packed tuna, right out of the can... Why? cuz it catches steelhead. Further north, Mad River, Elk, Sixes, etc I may use regular old cocktail shrimp ground up and put in a sack. Then there are those times when juicy cured eggs are best.

Instead of ladies stocking material (it works great) the preferred sack wrapping material may well be a commercial "Atlas Bait Co." product sold at Bi-Mart or any NW tackle shop called "Atlas Spawn Net" and the preferred thread to complete the sack is likely "Atlas Miracle Thread". Rather difficult to explain how one takes the net, thread and bait to make a "Spawn Sack", however if you'd like the instructions visit this site: http://www.lakemichiganangler.com/tips/salmon_eggs/making_spawn_sacks.htm or Google the words "How to tie spawn sacks", you'll find YouTube videos as well as photo sites.

Some thoughts... since the netting will get caught up in the teeth of your pelagic prey (the fish) it may well be a great idea to tie up some spawn sacks. Since there are preferred baits at different times of the year, why not experiment with Anchovies, Herring, Shrimp, tuna or salmon eggs. Since Pro-Cure is readily available why not soak your made up baits overnight in scents like bloody tuna, anchovies, herring, salmon egg, etc, etc..

Spawn sacks or any baits wrapped in sack material are very versatile.
The first thing to remember; the sack netting material is prone to sticking to or hanging up in the teeth of your prey, giving you a second change to set the hook.
The second benefit is the reality that you can tie up 20 or so baits the night before to have them ready when you are and they are easy to change compared to skein eggs.

G
Gannon
I fully agree Billamicasr! I really enjoy sitting and tying up a bunch of sacks the night before. I'm going to get some crawdads this week, shell the tail, and tie up sacks with the meat. I will use fire cure on some, as well as krill, anise, tuna oil (I save all the oil from cans and put it in my freezer), and other mixtures. Try everything including the sink. I also have razor clam meat I'm soaking in fire cure and nectar, that I plan on trying. If anyone wants to come fish with me they are more than welcome.

jamisonace
jamisonace
If you enjoy doing all that work then that's all that matters. Sounds too complicated for me.

I like a single bead or some yarn with a little bit of cured eggs.

B
Big3d
This may be useful or not, but if you are fishing skein eggs cut a small strip of sac material and use it like yarn, the sac will, as stated kinda get stuck in their teeth, theoretically giving you more time for hookset. Learned that from someone who catches way more fish than I do.

G
Gannon
that's a good idea thanks Big3d. Jamisonace, I agree with the bead and yarn, sometimes simple is best, I like having everything cause if its getting to the end of the day and no fish, i will throw everything and the sink at them for that last chance.

B
Billamicasr
Another thought to spawn sacks.
If you've made the mistake of freezing your skeins before they are cured, you'll end up with eggs that milk out very quickly and fall apart. Those "bad eggs" can be saved by putting them up in spawn sacks. They will milk out slower so you can get a few casts out of them.

Casting Call
Casting Call
Billamicasr said:
Another thought to spawn sacks.
If you've made the mistake of freezing your skeins before they are cured, you'll end up with eggs that milk out very quickly and fall apart. Those "bad eggs" can be saved by putting them up in spawn sacks. They will milk out slower so you can get a few casts out of them.
Good comment on the sack the skeins to slow the milking. Here's one, to harden off eggs and skeins soak them in the native cold waters for about 15 min as nature would do as moma would drop her eggs, get fertilized then harded off it's all done natural take them home to be soaked in cure A.I. Tony

B
Billamicasr
I love this site... so much fishing knowledge and on top of that a willingness to share.

I've never pre-cured my eggs as such. I sure like the suggestion; thanks Tony