Single hooks on Salmon/Steelhead lures?

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
some of the big name spinners, in the larger sizes, come with a treble but are packaged with a basic Siwash also.

for those OFF experts that like using single hooks on lures for Salmon/Steelhead, do you just go with a basic Siwash? or do you perhaps have a favorite shape/style/brand of single hook?

I am going to be switching some spinners over to single hooks and also making some new spinners, so any input is appreciated...cheers,roger

R
RunWithSasquatch
Siwash is the hook you'll want if you're going single. Make sure you take and bend an offset in the hook point from the shank. Example being, take a lay a siwash hook on your coffee table, next to it - lay an octopus style hook. Notice how the octopus hook does not run parallel with the shank of the hook, and the point turns up at a slight angle away from the table, and the siwash lays completely flat.

Take a pair of pliars and bend your siwash to match the octopus.

This is all my opinion, but it will help with the hook up ratios. A flat siwash has a better chance to pull right back out of the fishes mouth.

B
bran_man
I only use single siwash hooks for my steelhead spinners. Way less chance of them pooping off than with treble hooks.I could go either way for salmon...

F
FishNinja
Yup, better hookups and fewer snags!

S
steelhead_slayer
RunWithSasquatch said:
Siwash is the hook you'll want if you're going single. Make sure you take and bend an offset in the hook point from the shank. Example being, take a lay a siwash hook on your coffee table, next to it - lay an octopus style hook. Notice how the octopus hook does not run parallel with the shank of the hook, and the point turns up at a slight angle away from the table, and the siwash lays completely flat.

Take a pair of pliars and bend your siwash to match the octopus.

This is all my opinion, but it will help with the hook up ratios. A flat siwash has a better chance to pull right back out of the fishes mouth.

The bend in the hook can also decrease mortality rates

R
rippin fish lips
I am a Firm believer in the siwash hooks. I switch out all my trebs to siwash singles now. And Ssquach is dead on about the bend in the hook.

J
JeannaJigs
I like siwash sometimes...but if I'm fishing rivers with a high percentage of natives or all natives, I don't use them. Higher mortality rates are a side effect, as compared to trebles that don't penetrate as deep. definitely bend them as has already been said.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
excellent, thanks all for the input/feedback.