Shimano vs Kastking

Shimano makes so if the best reels on the market. Is there any other brand that makes just as good if not better reel for an affordable price? I think yes see for yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:

troutdude

Abu Garcia. They have stood the test, of time. And are greatly favored, by many guides.

The ones made in Sweden. Not the new Chinese made crap.

4labs

So almost everything is made in china or malaysia or who knows ? For the price they are really tempting and longevity is the unknown. I almost pulled the trigger on the lexa 300 for salt but after seeing a comment on Justins Reel repair I held back. The shimano's that came from Jodys guild service were in for a major rebuild and the comment was some of the reels had been in use for yrs and had fought 100's of sturgeon. I have a older corsair 400 that just failed with very few hrs on it the plastic line guild broke. So until you get the high dollar Avent's or comparable I feel any reel under $200 isn't a 20 yr lifespan .My older shamono tr200 went 22 yrs before the drags gave out and that was a $50 reel back then but that was the exception. Older penns are great reels and easy to rebuild but I gave up on the newer ones after a 209 and a 20m didn't make thru 2 bottom fishing trips.
Will take my 2 6500's that are over 20yrs old to Justins after this season to be gutted and rebuilt.
The kastking would make a great topwater reel for blacks loaded with 50lb braid and will pick up a couple next yr and the drag rating is unreal

Troutski

The bitterness of pour quality remains long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten.... Shimano has never let me down for over 30 years... just sayin

Chuck

troutdude

Ha! I have used that line, as a sales rep. And I feel that way, about the Abu Garcia line. Those, and the Shimano's, are built to last.

markasd

I'll chime in for Abu.. the amount of fish per reel maintenance is crazy. I have gone through a three seasons of springers and fall fishing hard for kings and silvers with my 6500's and after 20+ yrs they still rock. Easy to break down and clean up n grease.

Curious how long those cork knobs last though. Seems like a poor material choice for longevity, but look darn comfy.