Semi success Columbia springers )4-10-2010

T
Thuggin4Life
So we took the litle boat out to the big river and jumped in to cluster **** of boats. Had to try to follow the other boats out the willy since we had never been there and got there at dark thirty. Weather was nice but the wind picked up mid day and died back down a bit before we left. The other Andy had a 20lber to the boat and right as i netted it it chewed the line and made a bigger hole in my net swimming away to live another day. I missed one a bit later and Then I got a rod! Yes rods also eat herring. Seen a handfull of boats catching fish and the most popular method was plug cut herring with variety's of flashers. We seen ever color in the book catch a fish today. Also seen a lot of green brined herring. from most we talked to it was still a slow day but heard of boats filling the limits. Most fish we seen were keepers. Couldn't believe how rough it got and then add the 1000 or so boats making wake and you get the picture. we got wet even though it never rained. It was a blast other than trying to troll with the wind. here are some pics of the day, enjoy. i can't wait to get back out and try.

Last edited:
N
nwkiller
dude what a crazy day!!!! when we got there, i figured u didn't even need me to call you.....sence there was ever dude with something that could float out there, ive never seen that many boats..but it is a record year suppossed to be around 400,000 springers movin up....plenty of time to get into them, crazy job on the new rod!!!!

T
Thuggin4Life
So how did you guys do? I bet you never even seen my boat out in the crowd I made it form the willy down a ways back all the way to I-5 and down, way down and several trips back up by the willy and down. I passed a few boats on the way up the highway and I was like bet we see them out well we ended up seeing 20 boats for each one we passed that could have been it.

B
Bullitt
nwkiller said:
plenty of time to get into them, crazy job on the new rod!!!!

You have one week (maybe less). Next Sunday (4/18) the Coulumbia River will close but it could be sooner depending on where the quota stands.

Then the cluster**** will move to the Willamette. While this run should be ok it is not anywhere near the number of fish on the CR.

Thuggin....Good job on at least hooking something. Pretty rough out there isn't it? :) All I did was yard work. :(

F
Fishtopher
You know its a cold morning when you look up and see your buddy with his hands curled up in fists while they are in his gloves.

W
windburnt
ahhhh!!!! im still stoked and pissed from the fish lost...It was a good day none the less. Im gonna try to get out there again next weekend. Might even take a vacation day from work this week. Gonna have to watch the weather. Thx for setting up the trip Andy and Brandon.

S
Swamp Puppy
way to get out there and get after them! it was a zoo on the river saturday for sure. hope you bonk a springer here in the near future! if you want a tip on a couple of spots on the MC after they close the river...i am no expert, but had some good success the past couple of weeks. be happy to point you to a spot or two.

N
nwkiller
Thuggin4Life said:
So we took the litle boat out to the big river and jumped in to cluster **** of boats. Had to try to follow the other boats out the willy since we had never been there and got there at dark thirty. Weather was nice but the wind picked up mid day and died back down a bit before we left. The other Andy had a 20lber to the boat and right as i netted it it chewed the line and made a bigger hole in my net swimming away to live another day. I missed one a bit later and Then I got a rod! Yes rods also eat herring. Seen a handfull of boats catching fish and the most popular method was plug cut herring with variety's of flashers. We seen ever color in the book catch a fish today. Also seen a lot of green brined herring. from most we talked to it was still a slow day but heard of boats filling the limits. Most fish we seen were keepers. Couldn't believe how rough it got and then add the 1000 or so boats making wake and you get the picture. we got wet even though it never rained. It was a blast other than trying to troll with the wind. here are some pics of the day, enjoy. i can't wait to get back out and try.
so was the rod any good, obviusly doesn't matter it looks sweet and it was free........get any good tackle...looks like a decent reel, i wonder what happen...boat went by and snagged another dude who didn't have his rod in the holder very well and some tight drag......... or maybe someone decided to take there young child out fishing for the first time and chucked it..lol, or maybe a fish worked the dude over so hard it stole his gear.....who knows, probably was a funny story though, was drifting the mac not to long ago and my friend set his rod down for a second, it snagged the bottom and out it went, if i wasn't lighting my cigerette might have been able to snag it but........ to davy jones's locker it goes...for someone to find....arrrrr!!!!