Securing corkies

F
fish_4_all
How do you secure them? I have my own way I have been using for a while but wanted to see how others do it. The standard tooth pick worked fine for me sometimes but I have since started putting them on the hook so there is no way a fish will miss the hook if it hits the corky.

Oh and what is your favorite corky and feather/yarn color combo for both Chinook and Coho?
Mine are:
Coho: pink feather rainbow corky
Chinook: all red but in different shades
 
T
Troutier Bassier
I take a small screwdriver and make one eye of the corkie a little bit bigger, then I slide it on my Line so The hook Eye fits in there.
I have used the Toothpick, But I dont remember to take Toothpicks with me, So I just use a small twig. :)
 
M
Mike123
Toothpicks. I like my corkie to be away from my hook a little to keep the gap of the hook open.
 
A
Anyfishisfine
Troutier Bassier said:
I take a small screwdriver and make one eye of the corkie a little bit bigger, then I slide it on my Line so The hook Eye fits in there.
I have used the Toothpick, But I dont remember to take Toothpicks with me, So I just use a small twig. :)

This is what I do. I learned it from someone here and it works well.
 
T
Thuggin4Life
I always find myself reaching into the nerest bush or scanning the ground for and twig i can get to fit.
 
J
JSpencer
Ive been finding myself more and more tying up my egg loops with the corkie in the loop (between the wraps and the eye of the hook.)

Seems lazy but i have big fingers that dont work well in the cold (arthritis sucks) and the corkies help me pull the egg loop out. I know that it seems like it defeats the purpose of the loop, but i just slide the wraps up to the eye so that the corkie kind of dangles on the loop. I havent had any issues so far keeping roe in the loop.
 
F
fish_4_all
JSpencer said:
Ive been finding myself more and more tying up my egg loops with the corkie in the loop (between the wraps and the eye of the hook.)

I have seen that before, have never tried it though. Could work well because you can orient the corkie on the back side of the hook so the gap is wide open.
 
M
metalmania
Anyfishisfine said:
This is what I do. I learned it from someone here and it works well.

I'm glad you guys were able to figure out how that works:D. I was worried nobody would get it.
 
F
fish_4_all
HookedCorkies

Here are some I have done. I try to match the corky to the hook size to leave as much of a gap as possible.
 
M
metalmania
fish_4_all said:
HookedCorkies

Here are some I have done. I try to match the corky to the hook size to leave as much of a gap as possible.

Wow you actually put the corky on the shank:shock:. I tried that but lost more fish cause the corkie/cheater tends to impeed a proper hookset. Some of those look like they would hold fish just fine though:D.
 
F
fishtales
Thuggin4Life said:
I always find myself reaching into the nerest bush or scanning the ground for and twig i can get to fit.


That is hilarious "a twig! I do that too always have
 
F
fish_4_all
I try to put as big of a hook as I can and still float the it with the smallest corky.

The silver ones are a #12 corky with a #1 hook
Some are #8 corkies I think with a 1/0 wide gap hook
A few of them will probably have the same problem with bad hook ups but most of them have a good gap that should hook up well enough.
 
M
Mike123
fish_4_all said:
I try to put as big of a hook as I can and still float the it with the smallest corky.

The silver ones are a #12 corky with a #1 hook
Some are #8 corkies I think with a 1/0 wide gap hook
A few of them will probably have the same problem with bad hook ups but most of them have a good gap that should hook up well enough.

Yea I'd rather use two smaller corkies than one big one. Just to keep the hook gap open.
 
R
Razz
Mike123 said:
Yea I'd rather use two smaller corkies than one big one. Just to keep the hook gap open.

Second here also maybe just a little yarn knot to keep the corkies from going up the line.
 
F
fish_4_all
Well they don't seem to get in the way of a good hook set, thats for sure. I snagged multiple fish with them without ever setting a hook. Tails and dorsal fins seem to eat them faster the fishes mouth will. But I did get 3 in the mouth for not all was lost for the testing of them.

Gonna try circle hooks for a while although I do not think they will work the same as J or Beak hooks. Will have to modify how I secure the corky because of the bend in point but something will work out. Might be the perfect time to put them on the egg loop or drill a hole or cut a slot and put them on the back of the hook instead of through the middle on the shank.
 

Similar threads

jamisonace
Replies
15
Views
1K
C_Run
C_Run
Shaun Solomon
Replies
39
Views
2K
Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
bass
Replies
0
Views
804
bass
bass
Top Bottom