Sea-run cutthroats, where to go?

No_Bad_Skunks
No_Bad_Skunks
I thought I might go chase some Sea-Run Cutts on Sunday. Anyone know if and where they're hitting right now?

Thanks in advance

R
_RJ_
Miami river and Miami cove have produced near 20" cutts for me the last couple of weeks. Try the cove in the AM and/or high tide, then work up the river.

O
OnTheDrop
_RJ_ said:
Miami river and Miami cove have produced near 20" cutts for me the last couple of weeks. Try the cove in the AM and/or high tide, then work up the river.

Love the Miami for cuts!

Pretty much any Coastal river in Oregon has them right now!

J
JHawk
We've fished a fair amount for trout, but have never tried sea-run cutties. We've been using flies for the Cascade cutties, but I have no idea what to try on sea-runs. Do we just use bigger flies (like 4's & 6's) or are spinning lures better?

Is it possbile to be successful fishing from the bank or is it primarily a drift boat game?

R
RyanHill127
JHawk said:
We've fished a fair amount for trout, but have never tried sea-run cutties. We've been using flies for the Cascade cutties, but I have no idea what to try on sea-runs. Do we just use bigger flies (like 4's & 6's) or are spinning lures better?

Is it possbile to be successful fishing from the bank or is it primarily a drift boat game?

Times 2... great questions I wouldn't mind hearing some tips on as well!

C_Run
C_Run
RyanHill127 said:
Times 2... great questions I wouldn't mind hearing some tips on as well!

There are some really good posts here from a few years ago detailing locations and methods if you look them up. The main thing for me is finding them since they move around . Basically I usually only fish three rivers for them and not too much any more, mostly c and r now. In those rivers, it's tidewater from May - August generally but I've gotten them right into October and usually just use small spinners and spoons or small flat fish. I know other folks fly fish for them or use bait (in tidewater , check the regs,) and beads, too.

M
michigan_transplant
i've caught them way down on the Alsea this time of year.

SiletzTroutKiller
SiletzTroutKiller
I agree with Michigan_transplant on this one about the Alsea. But most coastal rivers will do, especially my favorite the SILETZ!!!!!!

S
SmallStreams
JHawk said:

On the smaller streams, definitely no need for a boat. Bait works. Flies work. Spinners work. Personally I use large spinners, nothing smaller than a #3 and usually a #5, to keep the small ones off the hook.

On my "home" stream, they're now upriver, beyond the point where most people fish. The past week was really good fishing, though!

Last edited:
B
bigboy70
my girlfriend caught a 15" on the trask @ laurens drift on purple and black cross pattern corkie with black yarn also a smaller 8" hit on her purple on purple corkie with red yarn

B
bigboy70
heres a pic of the bigger one i know holding the fish wrong and to high off the water intented to keep until i realized trout season was over because when the misses set the hook went up near the eye and i removed it as quickly and cleanly as possible i didn't want to let it go just because i didn't think it would make it but i can't afford a fine right now either hope he lived was lively when i revived him

IMG_0025_zpsacb234af.jpg

P
perfectg03
bigboy70 said:
heres a pic of the bigger one i know holding the fish wrong and to high off the water intented to keep until i realized trout season was over because when the misses set the hook went up near the eye and i removed it as quickly and cleanly as possible i didn't want to let it go just because i didn't think it would make it but i can't afford a fine right now either hope he lived was lively when i revived him

IMG_0025_zpsacb234af.jpg

Learn the regs, dude. All coastal streams are closed to trout fishing effective Oct.31. That means that you can't target them, even for catch and release. Maybe a fine is what it will take for you to learn.

That fish absolutely did not survive after a pinning it like that. Blood coming from his gill plate is a giveaway.

B
bigboy70
First off we weren't targeting trout we were there for salmon and maybe u should read other posts as well were I stated I realized trout season was closed and had to put him back even though I knew he wasn't going to survive but couldn't afford the fine if we got caught last thing I want to do is releasing something I know is going to die instead of eating him like I planned too thanks for your 2 cents though

Last edited:
D
DrTheopolis
perfectg03 said:
That means that you can't target them

Maybe it was another thread, but I believe he was fishing corky and yarn.

So was he C&R fishing for cuts with corky and yarn?

B
bigboy70
Yup says that in the post right above the one with picture thanks doc besides I'm the the post wot pic I admitted trout was closed and didn't want to release him cause of how he got hooked he prob looked at picture saw timestamp and ohhh my gosh!

E
eugene1
The sea run cutts are a really cool fish, kind of a sister species to rainbows/steelhead. I think most coastal systems have them.

We would catch them as bycatch while fishing the slaw or siltcoos lake for salmon.

If you are going to fish, there will be some catching and mortality on unintended species, unfortunately, so take it easy on bigboy, guys. But if you are breaking the law that is something different.

Best,

B
bigboy70
thank you eugene if it was two day sooner he would have been dinner

N
n8r1
As a rule of thumb, it is probably a bad idea to post a picture of a fish that you just killed due to mishandling and then 'released,' regardless of circumstances. If you were targeting salmon and caught a searun by mistake, and realized that it was 2 days too late to keep them, why post a picture of a soon to be dead fish? It serves no purpose and will only get people upset.

B
bigboy70
Wasn't because of mishandling it was the way he got hook and since everyone says I'm mishandling how do u handle a trout correctly

SiletzTroutKiller
SiletzTroutKiller
If you can keep the fish from dying then do your best, but sometimes you can't help the fact you hooked a fish too deep or whatever so bigboy70 just keep doing what you're doing man. I believe you didn't intend on harming the fish. And as for taking a picture I don't see what the big deal is if the fish is gonna die anyway and you were going to try your best to release it properly; not taking a picture of the fish isn't going to make it die a more gruesome death. But that's just my opinion and everyone is entitled to theirs