Santiam steel

rainbowfisherman
When do the steelhead start showing up on this river? Around the little north fork arm. Up by mill city? Just curious.


-Thanks
Rainbowfisherman
 
Mike123
In the South Santiam they start showing end of March, beginning of May.. depends on year. We're getting WAY more winters over the falls then last year so it may be a good native fishery this year C&R. Maybe another month and it should be worth the time to go fish for them. :dance:
 
rainbowfisherman
So does that mean they dont hit the mill city area to June?
 
Salmonhungry
They will be in the Mill City area late March early May. Best numbers in June and July. That would be for Summers. Spring Chinook will also be in the system but I'm not sure how that run will be for Chinooks yet.
 
joni
Mike123 said:
In the South Santiam they start showing end of March, beginning of May.. depends on year. We're getting WAY more winters over the falls then last year so it may be a good native fishery this year C&R. Maybe another month and it should be worth the time to go fish for them. :dance:

yeah i saw that there have been some steel coming through the fish passage
even though it's been blown out i've been out some on the willamette plunking ha ha need to get a bell then i can do my homework and have a line in the water at the same time
 
carl hungis
where is kodiak? he lives up tha that way..
 
N
nointrntrprts
those winters....

those winters....

at least the ones headin up the Santiam system will be in the mid-river about now... give em a few weeks once they pass oregon city, another week or two to get up the Santiam - not all the fish passing oregon city head up the Santiam though - quite a few do, but not all of em.

this year should be pretty good up there.. and some do go up little north fork.

good luck is all i can say - pretty rare catchin' til ya dial em in.
 
Mike123
Yea I think the natives are pretty well dispersed. The South gets a few.. depends on the year. Looks like this is a good year for the natives. I usually catch them in March. But maybe I'll have to go out and try for some in late February. I've went up Wiley creek to a big swimming hole one year in early Spring, and it was FULL of steelhead! Like 5 would jump every second. It's closed to fishing though.
 
gypotats
nointrntrprts said:
at least the ones headin up the Santiam system will be in the mid-river about now... give em a few weeks once they pass oregon city, another week or two to get up the Santiam - not all the fish passing oregon city head up the Santiam though - quite a few do, but not all of em.

this year should be pretty good up there.. and some do go up little north fork.

good luck is all i can say - pretty rare catchin' til ya dial em in.

dont waste your time on the little north fork. i spent a couple of winters freezin on that river with nothin. i think the natives are few and far between that run up it.not that there not there but i think you be pretty lucky to get on strike out of fishing it a week.
 
bigsteel
gypotats said:
dont waste your time on the little north fork. i spent a couple of winters freezin on that river with nothin. i think the natives are few and far between that run up it.not that there not there but i think you be pretty lucky to get on strike out of fishing it a week.

they are there,,,ive seen plenty of them.......but there isn't a huge run
 
Last edited:
Mrs. Kodiak
My husband says the don't eat big nightcrawlers right after a rain with a pink pearl corky.
 
Top Bottom