Sandy this weekend?

S
Salmonlover1
Wanting to go fish for salmon this weekend. After going to buoy 10 with a guide and catching a couple coho, we have some good quality eggs. Don't know where to go. Maybe the Sandy? Can someone please give me an update of which rivers are doing well. Live in Portland and am looking for some river in the Northwest

Thanks

troutdude
troutdude
It's pretty early yet. The rains haven't come yet. If there are any I'd think that they'd be staged, at the mouth. Maybe a little further upstream than that. But not much.

S
Salmonlover1
troutdude know of any place I can reach without a boat? I have a tiny raft if that helps

troutdude
troutdude
It's been some 28 years since I was last on, that river. All that I can recall is that there plenty of bank spots. I just couldn't begin to tell you where those spots are. It's only a vague recollection now. Sorry.

Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
BTW welcome to OFF.

troutdude
troutdude
Salmonlover1 one of the very best guides in the Portland area, just posted on his Facebook page...that the Silvers are making a run big time. He suggested fishing the lower Clackamas. Good luck.

S
Salmonlover1
troutdude Thanks! Is Eagle Creek open for fishing? If not, are there bank spots? I appreciate your help.

troutdude
troutdude
You can look up the regulations online; but here it is. Again it's been over 30 years; and I don't recall. But maybe someone else will chime in. And it's probably too early yet. We need LOTS of cold rain, before they'll move upstream.

Mouth to markers 200 ft below hatchery ladder outlet
  • Open all year for hatchery salmon and hatchery steelhead.
  • Combined daily limit of 3 hatchery salmon or hatchery steelhead per day.
  • Use of bait allowed.
  • Anti-Snagging Gear Restriction: Leader length must be between 18 and 36 inches Aug 1 – Dec 31 (See Anti-Snagging Gear Restriction Rules pg 18).
  • Closed from 200 ft above and 300 ft below fish ladder ½ mi below Eagle Fern Park.

S
Salmonlover1
troutdude when you mention the lower Clack do you mean mouth of Eagle Creek or some other place? Sorry for the questions.

troutdude
troutdude
The mouth of any stream, is where it flows into another stream (creeks into rivers, rivers into larger rivers, or rivers into the ocean). The mouth of the Clackamas is where that river flows into, the Willamette. So now is the time to fish the mouth of the Clack.

C_Run
C_Run
Maybe go take a drive to Clackamette Park in Oregon City and make some observations. If there are fish in there now it won't be a secret.