Salmon Hatcheries

T
Teo
I was looking at the fish counts today and things seem to be picking up. I was wondering is there any other salmon hatchery above Willamette Falls besides the one up at Foster Dam?

N
nwkiller
dexter dam, and there is a hatchery in mapleton, thats all i know for the willamette

T
TTFishon
Leaburg Hatchery on the Mckenzie.

troutdude
troutdude
Maybe Marion Forks Hatchery on the North Santiam?

And, what about the Clackamas drainage system?

T
Teo
So do the Marion Forks and Leaburg hatcheries produce salmon? The real question is where are the clipped salmon that go past the Willamette Falls fish count station headed? I thought Leaburg only did trout and steelhead.

And let's see Mapleton. Do you mean the Mapleton on the Siuslaw?

B
bigsteel
PURPOSE
Marion Forks Hatchery began operation in 1951. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (COE) funds the majority of operational costs as mitigation for the development of Detroit and Big Cliff dams. The hatchery is used for egg incubation and rearing of spring chinook and collection of winter steelhead (adult collection and spawning occurs at Minto Pond).
Marion Forks Hatchery Plan Page 2
I think most the clipped salmon run to the santiams,,,at least in the midvalley..not sure about the portland area

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/fish/HOP/Marion Forks HOP.pdf

troutdude
troutdude
Thanks for that information Big Steel! U da man.

K
Kodiak
Teo said:
So do the Marion Forks and Leaburg hatcheries produce salmon? The real question is where are the clipped salmon that go past the Willamette Falls fish count station headed?

You haven't seen my freezer have you?:lol: Santiams take approx. 45%of the run over the falls. the other 55% is split between dexter and those dinks that technically qualify as "adult" fish up the mckinzie. Your best bet is 18 days after the fish come over the falls head to waterloo park and smash them!

T
Teo
Kodiak said:
You haven't seen my freezer have you?:lol: Santiams take approx. 45%of the run over the falls. the other 55% is split between dexter and those dinks that technically qualify as "adult" fish up the mckinzie. Your best bet is 18 days after the fish come over the falls head to waterloo park and smash them!

Thanks Kodiak!

E
Elkhntr
Are any of these hatcheries near Corvallis or up the coast? We will be visiting with our kids next week and would like to take them. Are any of them better than the others for the kids? Thanks.

T
Teo
Elkhntr said:
Are any of these hatcheries near Corvallis or up the coast? We will be visiting with our kids next week and would like to take them. Are any of them better than the others for the kids? Thanks.

Alsea Hatchery is only about 30 minutes from Corvallis. I was there last Tuesday and there were still some steelhead in the traps. They also have some large ponds full of trout. But I like the Leaburg Hatchery a lot more. It has a seperate pond for large fish with some very large trout, and very, very large sturgeon. It's also right there next to Leaburg lake and there is also a park along the lake. All in all a much nicer place to take the kids. How old are the kids? Leaburg is about a 90 minute drive from Corvallis.

E
Elkhntr
Our boy's are 8 and 13. and thanx for the info,The oldest is really interested in the fishing up there.

B
BlackBass
There is the Alsea hatcery if your wanting to take the kids. Its Steelhead only there. Just head west from Corvalis and take highway 34 18 miles to the hatchery.

troutdude
troutdude
I would highly suggest that you go to the Foster Dam Hatchery, just east of Sweet Home. It's only 45 minutes away. And, they have trout, Spring 'nooks, Winter and Summer run steelies.

Just go out Hwy. 20, and turn left and cross the dam. Turn left again, and you're there!

K
Kodiak
Elkhntr said:

The costal springers don't really get with the program till the end of may first of june. Most of the santiam salmon are locked up in the mainstem until the water warms a bit more. Your best bet is foster dam. They will have steelhead, but doubt any chinook for another month. There might be an outside chance of hooking a chinook at waterloo park outside of lebanon, and a verry real possibility of a fresh summer steelhead.

E
Elkhntr
Thanks for all of the info. Weather permitting, we will try to make it to a couple of them.

P
plumb2fish
There are 2 hatcheries on the Mac. Leaburg and the Mckenzie salmon hatchery about 2 miles west of Leaburg dam.The salmon don't genarally show up there until end of April through September