Salmon fry release tomorrow

jamisonace
jamisonace
My sons class raised 100 salmon eggs to fry and they'll be released tomorrow. I'm joining the class as a chaperone and looking forward to seeing the kids release their fish. My son has learned a lot from this experiment. I was hoping to get into his room more to see the eggs develop but I only saw them when they first arrived. I got daily first hand reports from my son though.

Hopefully I'll have some good pics tomorrow.

R
rippin fish lips
I was always the one "babysitting" the tank in class. I would have to say that... having those fish raised in class is what really got me into fishing and always wanting to be around them.

P
plumb2fish
Thats awesome, did the boy rub ur special scent on his fingers before he fed em so they know its him when they come home;-)

jamisonace
jamisonace
We do that tomorrow:)

plumb2fish said:
Thats awesome, did the boy rub ur special scent on his fingers before he fed em so they know its him when they come home;-)

jamisonace
jamisonace
Very cool. Sounds like a lot kids have this opportunity in elementary school.

rippin fish lips said:
I was always the one "babysitting" the tank in class. I would have to say that... having those fish raised in class is what really got me into fishing and always wanting to be around them.

troutdude
troutdude
jamisonace said:
We do that tomorrow:)

You have trained your young Jedi well, Obi Wan!

J
jabs67
Awesome!!! Enjoy

E
eugene1
That's really cool, when I was a kid we only raised frogs in elementary school.

D
DYJ
the son of one of the body guys down here at my shop did the same thing. He came in for lunch on Tuesday and was tellin me all about it. Very cool.

T
tnffishman
very cool, what stream are you releasing them into? I live in Portland, and back when I was in high school we raised fish for release into Johnson Creek

jamisonace
jamisonace
They went into the Willamette near Alton Baker Park.
tnffishman said:
very cool, what stream are you releasing them into? I live in Portland, and back when I was in high school we raised fish for release into Johnson Creek

T
troutmasta
Super Cool buddy! That sounds like something you'll never forget.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Here are the photos. Nothing too spectacular to photo but the experience was really fun for me and the kids. I was talking to the biologist and she said she has heard of at least two fish that returned and were likely caught from this project. These fish are released without being clipped first, so if you ever catch a springer that is not clipped around Alton Baker Park it may have been raised in a local elementary school classroom.

This is the aquarium that was in the classroom
Aquarium.jpg

Future Trophies
Bucket.jpg

Fish Head
Fish Head.jpg

The release
Release.jpg

G
Goodtimes
Coolest thing ever. Thanks for sharing.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
jamisonace said:
Here are the photos. Nothing too spectacular to photo but the experience was really fun for me and the kids. I was talking to the biologist and she said she has heard of at least two fish that returned and were likely caught from this project. These fish are released without being clipped first, so if you ever catch a springer that is not clipped around Alton Baker Park it may have been raised in a local elementary school classroom.

oh man, now the Alton Baker Park area will be just packed with fishermen every spring...:D

great stuff.