Rod line weight range

N
Nettle
I got a new 9 foot UglyStik freshwater spin rod and printed on it says Medium, line weight 4 - 20 lbs, lure weight 1/8 - 3/4 oz. This is a much wider range of line weight that I'm used to seeing on fishing rods. I'm used to seeing 6-15 for example. I don't understand why it is like this and I'm wondering if it has any negative impacts. I was planning to use the rod with 8-12lb mono to fish for carp, bass, trout, steelhead, and possibly salmon. Does anybody know more about how the range of line weight effects the rods performance? I'm curious of the pros or cons of having one that is 4 - 20. :think:

H
halibuthitman
in short, a rod with a swing like that has an identity crisis... its fine for what you want to do, its just kinda a "shot gun" rod

G
grampa ron
I'm guessing it has a very soft action tip. Never liked the feel of those rods.

F
fredaevans
Can't speak directly to this rod, but with lead chuckers the 'Rule of thumb' was to line it 'in the middle' for best overall action.

N
Nettle
Hmm, some disconcerting comments :confused:. Perhaps I'll end up buying a different rod.

G
grampa ron
After having owned a bunch of different rods over the last 30 yrs I have figured out you don't need to spend a lot of cash to get a good rod. Places like Walmart and Bimart have pretty decent rods. If you should have a problem with one they will exchange or refund. Keep your receipt. I'm sure the other stores that will do the same. Less cash for rods = more for gas.

S
steelhead1
Nettle said:
Hmm, some disconcerting comments :confused:. Perhaps I'll end up buying a different rod.

Ugly sticks are probably one of the most versatile and tough rods available.You can line it with a wide range of tests,and cast effectively. In my experience,these rods are a good choice for learning what the more "specialized" rods are used for (longer & stiffer for float fishing,shorter and sensitive for drift fishing,ect). No reason not to use this classic,it will likely outlive any other rod you may own:D

N
Nettle
I got it because I wanted a longer fishing rod. My old rod is 6'0" and I wanted to be able to cast farther and have better control with an action that bends the entire rod. Ugly Stik seemed like a good choice because of low price and its highly recommended. Problem was that they only make one type of 9'0" foot rod of the weight range I'll be using. The next longest one in the freshwater series is 7'0" (shorter than I wanted). There is an 8'6" rod in their salmon/steelhead series but its line weight was higher than i wanted, it also had fewer line guides (i thought more was better). So if i wanted a long UglyStik that i could use light line on, the one i got was the only choice. i would have preferred it to be lighter action with a line weight closer to 6-12 but they do not make a rod like that. So now I'm thinking its not suited well for light fishing due to its action. Since UglyStiks are so affordably priced, I think i'll get a ultralight one for small fish, I just wish they made them longer. I should probably consider other brands, but they all seem to be lower quality or higher priced.