Rod and reel setup question???

B
Bswe22
So I went out and myself a nice rod and reel for steelhead. Now I'm wondering is it will do for all the nooks and other salmon that are here and coming. I got a GLoomis Steelhead series rod. It's the STR 1163S, 9'8", 6-12lb, 3/8 - 3/4oz. I matched it up with a Pflueger Supreme 8040 Spinning reel. Do I need to get another setup or will this do for now? I know I will get another setup eventually but I am not quit ready to spend the money just yet.

Thanks for your input and advice!!!

Bryan

T
troutmasta
Should be good if your fishing from the bank or drifting corkies or eggs. I would want a little stiffer rod for running plugs. The 9' 8" will be nice for bobbers lots of line control.

I usually run at the min. 12 pound for coastal fall fish so I would use that, you could also go with some braid depending on how you plan to fish the most. Either way it'll do,

If your drag is right you should run out of line before the rod breaks. Which would kick a$$ by the way because it would be a PIG.

H
HereFishy
That steelhead rod is all wrong for big salmon.. You need to go to your local Walmart and pick up a 6 foot Shakespeare Micro Graphite. Couple that with a child's spincaster reel (I prefer Barbie or Spider-Man) and you'll be in business.. LOL.. I'm so funny.. In all seriousness.. I'm no expert on the oodles of intricacies that go along with rod and reel construction. But it sound like you have a pretty nice setup. Your setup sounds nicer than mine. I'm using a 9 foot LamiGlass Classic Glass with an Abu Garcia Revo baitcaster and there's no doubt in my mind that it'll stand up to the toughest nooks this year. You'll do just fine.. Good luck. Be sure to post pictures of all the monstrous fish you get...

Happy Fishing,
Kyle

Y
Yogidabear
your fine, I caught a 16 lb winter steelhead on a 1141 s imx it was a blast. I think most people have way to heavy of gear and loose fish because the rod over powers them.

S
steelhead_stalkers
If you are fishing for Fall Chinook you need a much bigger rod. I use a 10'6" 10-40 lb rod for float fishing Chinook. You can land salmon on steelhead rods as I have done it plenty but if you want to actually land fish on a consistent basis get a heavier rod! Heck, I landed a 19 lb fall Chinook last year on my 7'6", 4-8 lb side drifting rod with 8 lb leader! It took about 15 minutes to land though and my arm was burning from the workout! :lol: I would not want to do that very often.

Berkley makes good salmon rods and you can get a decent setup for under $150. Good luck.

B
Bswe22
Thanks for all the input! I know I will need another set up eventually and I want to get one. I am just saving for a pontoon boat before I save for a second set up. Just wanted to make sure I could get some of the Fall Chinook on the rod I have. I am very new to steelhead and salmon.