Regs question

C
coyo7e
I came across a pretty cool rig setup tonight online, which is intended to hook a fish in the least-damaging method possible by taking a double egg-loop rig, and then simply taking the top egg-loop-tied hook and then clipping the entire gap and bend and point and barb off, leaving basicalyl a short shank with an eye and an egg loop tied to it, just a touch above the trailing hook, which is left bare. The idea behind it is to entice a strike on the point-less hook and then set it - but here's the problem, you're essentially guaranteeing that you'll be catching the fish from the outside of the mouth, since it's closed on the lead "hook" which has no curve or point, and is just bait.

The sticker here for me this that this appears to be a legit rig that's getting legit hits and is also not ending up with fish that tongue hook or gut hook and which can sometimes be worse injured by that type of mouth-hooking.

I also have always been sketchy on a multi-hook rig since it seems as though you might very likely accidentally snag a fish with the trailing hook (it's also why I hate to use trebles) as well, and if that's the case then that makes me wonder why this method wouldn['t be at least as safe/ethical/legal as the standard two-hook cheater leaders I see in the store.. Although I have seen at least one person claim those aren't legal in OR either so.

In the regs the last time I closely read them (it was a law update 2-3 years back, which I read tonight) it said something about snagging or flossing being because the fish was not "purposefully striking at the hook" so I was wondering if a hook which has been cut to simply be a shaft, cannot or would not be considered a hook any longer (also, since it's got bait, it might lead to the assumption the fish was striking and not flossed, hopefully)? I'd be happy to trim a few hooks short to try this except I would like to at least be fully informed before trying to explain my story to someone who checks my catch and decides they were all flossed because they got hooked from the corner of the mouth consistently. :blushing:

B
Big3d
Its tough, I am not sure how legal that rig is, but it sounds like you are probably gonna encounter quite a few foul hooks to the outside jaw, but then again it might work perfect. Sorry I can't abswer the law part.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
from the regs, page 9:

Angling and Harvest Methods, Hours and Restrictions:
Unlawful to:
3. Take game fish other than those hooked inside the mouth;

so I'm not sure if the rig you describe on it's own is legal or not, but to retain any game fish, it must be hooked from inside the mouth by at least one hook. cheers, roger

R
rippin fish lips
Bingo^^ Regardless if in Oregon, it must be in the mouth. So why risk foul hooking a fish on the outside that is illegal to keep? Still doin just as much harm to those fish! Just make sure your on point and get that hook set before the fish swallows it! a lot of my Egg hooked fish are actually hooked inside the corner of the jaw, Right on Bottom of jaw or lot of times get em right under the nose. Either way, if its not hooked in the mouth in OR it's gotta go back! WILD OR NOT.

BTW> If your Drift fishing, you probably shouldn't be on the lazy side of things when it comes to steelhead/salmon fishing. Bobber n Eggs though... Diff story... Gunna have lots of hooked fish deep down inside...

J
JonT
I know guys who use this "pegged" rig for steelhead fishing under an indicator (I don't). They seem to think it's perfectly legal in OR and WA, and they usually hook fish on the outside of the face....

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
important to note that there is a huge difference in the rules between OR (hooked inside the mouth) and WA (hooked inside the mouth or on the head".

from the 2015-2016 WA Regs, Page 16: Tackle:
"It is unlawful to possess a fish taken from
freshwater that was not hooked inside the
mouth or on the head. The head is defined
as any portion forward of the rear margin of
the gill plate
"

R
rippin fish lips
Main point is... IN OREGON that would most likely be considered Flossing, To me it is a for sure way to floss a fish and (try to hide it) with the bait rigged above on a cut off hook. Yor probably better off fishing that ball of bait with a peice of yarn to avoid some deep hooking and mortality hooking even more?... let that yarn stick in the teeth and it wont go any deeper if your on point with your hook sets!

Any stater who sees that rig fished in oregon will question it. You might as well drift an old Okie Drifter with a glob of eggs on a size 1 hook or two hook.