Red Owner Hooks

B
bweb
So has anyone had the same problem I did this year? I usually use gamakatsu 2/0 red hooks for back bouncing prawns, but this year I decided to try 2/0 red owner hooks. After fishing for 2-3 hours and re-baiting 6 times the red die/paint or whatever started coming off giving me a gold hook. See pics. Also I have a feeling using a red prawn and having gold hooks aren't as good as having a red prawn with a solid red hook.
Thanks.

• IMG_1040.jpg
  • IMG_1043.jpg
S
skunk
Same for the ones I tried. Gama's seem to last longer for me.

B
bweb
Yah, the gamakatsu seem to last WAY longer. I'm a little disappointed in Owner. I was curious if I got a bad batch or something.

M
Mad dog
bweb said:
Yah, the gamakatsu seem to last WAY longer. I'm a little disappointed in Owner. I was curious if I got a bad batch or something.

I have bigger complaints with Owner hooks than a little paint coming off!!! Some of their workmanship and quality control is lacking at times....I don't know how many times this season I have grabbed hooks out of a package only to find the eyelet's on the hook not completely closed!!! I just thought I would try some Owners this season....I'm sticking with Gamakatsu!

B
BankWalker
I've also tried them this year had hooks come out of the pack with dips and thin spots in the metal.

T
the_intimidator03
the owner hooks are probably anodized and gami's probably have a better coating on theirs.

T
TheFishingHex
bweb said:
So has anyone had the same problem I did this year? I usually use gamakatsu 2/0 red hooks for back bouncing prawns, but this year I decided to try 2/0 red owner hooks. After fishing for 2-3 hours and re-baiting 6 times the red die/paint or whatever started coming off giving me a gold hook. See pics. Also I have a feeling using a red prawn and having gold hooks aren't as good as having a red prawn with a solid red hook.
Thanks.

Mine lasted longer than yours did but same end result. no go on these hooks.

G
GoldFishSlayer
I have noticed even the red gamis don't seem to be what they once where I found some old ones (at least 15 yr.) in my garage they seem to stay red longer and hold point better and are stronger than the new ones maybe its just me but those black nickel (or whatever finish that is) gamis are tougher than all get out like the old red ones just an observation I have made oh yea and these are the 1/0 and size 1 hooks I had