Rain gear for fishing

J
JustMe
With winter approaching and (hopefully) lots of rain on the way, I would like to know your thoughts on rain gear and keeping warm while fishing. Obviously, layers to keep warm but the outer layer would seem to be the most important. So, fellow OFFers, what is your favorite rain gear? What have you had success with and what just didn't do the job?

troutdude
troutdude
My rain pants, and hooded parka, from River's West are the bombdiggity. They were especially designed, if I'm not mistaken, for hunting in VERY cold temps. I was out in them once, on a 40 degree day...and had to unzip the pant legs and the parka, because I was ROASTING! They aren't cheap; but the work very well.

MrGrumpFish
MrGrumpFish
That's a big subject. There are a lot of great options out there for any budget, but the more you spend usually decides how warm and comfortable you will be. A lot also depends on where you plan to use the gear. IE, I wont be wearing my HH rain pants with suspenders on the river bank like I would be while on my boat. I am tuned in here because with winter steelhead season upon us, I want to get advice here as well. Waders of some kind with Muk boots? Not sure yet. Great topic!

Cheers,

Chris

:popcorn:

S
sapo
Shorts and a t-shirt. Light jacket if it's under 25 :D..but seriously, that's what I do.

bass
bass
I fish all winter from my kayak and I dress for immersion, which is a step above rainfall. If you want to stay as dry as possible I would recommend chest waders and a dry top. The dry top will have latex wrist gaskets to keep water from running up your arm - even when your arm is under water. The neck gasket on some are neoprene and on others are latex. I find the neoprene to be more comfortable on my neck, but I like the latex on my wrists.

Nothing will keep you drier except for a full dry suit (I also own one of those). Dry tops and dry suits are expensive if you get a new one that is the latest and greatest. However, if you are patient and look around you can often find last years model for a good price. Also, folks sell used ones from time to time on craigslist. A lot of people go kayak once :)

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
I love my Kokatat Supernova Angler dry suit but only wear it now for ocean outings or very cold water/winter kayaking but it is by far the best possible rain gear you could every have; I can jump into the water (or get flipped in Umpqua whitewater in March) and stay dry, so who cares about a wee bit of rain (or several hours of frog strangling downpour).

but for my normal layering I wanted something waterproof and light, to use for kayak, powerboat, and backpacking, I went with this shell from Cabela's, on sale for $79 I think, and have been really happy with it:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/cabe...ch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=4most+dry+plus+packable

I think their "4most dry-plus" is excellent.

cheers, roger

F
Fish
I like Carhartt's Shoreline breathable jacket and pants. I stumbled onto them as I needed something for exterior tradework. I bought mine 7 or 8 years ago and they're still going strong. The fabric is thick and very durable. I think I paid around $100 for the jacket and $80 for the pants. I have a mix of other foul weather gear but the Carhartts are my workhorse/goto foul weather threads.

T
troutmasta
Good waders a hoodie and a water proof shell. Any brand is fine. The key for me in the wet winter is latex gloves, they keep your hands dry and therefore warm. Sometimes I throw them under fingerless wool gloves. Boom. :thumb:

J
JeannaJigs
Waders and a long sleeve shirt under a waterproof shell for me. I keep plenty warm rowing my boat or hiking around, if snow and ice are forecasted I might toss some thermals into the mix, but I'm never just sitting around and I've never been miserable cold.

I felt kinda stupid this year because I needed rain gear for hunting and had to buy pants, waders are not kosher hunting apparel I was told. I'll never wear rain pants fishing though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

J
JustMe
Thanks for all the great info. Nothing is worse than being wet while on the river or lake except being wet and cold!

C
ChezJfrey
troutmasta said:
Good waders a hoodie and a water proof shell. Any brand is fine. The key for me in the wet winter is latex gloves, they keep your hands dry and therefore warm. Sometimes I throw them under fingerless wool gloves. Boom. :thumb:

Except for the latex gloves, you and I are on roughly the same page. For me, waders, flannel shirt, any waterproof shell and where you are slightly mistaken, the real key is the fingerless wool gloves ;) I find the fingerless wool gloves indispensable and even wear just one of them on my left hand during summer. I'm sure it looks ridiculous when it's 80 degrees F, I'm wearing shorts and a t-shirt, with one finglerless wool glove during June, buy hey! Tails fish and serves as a non-slice-your-hands-up when I need to wrap braid and pull to break snags; I love those things for steelhead fishing.

B
BaldTexan
My lucky fish catching getup is a long sleeve Fox motoX racing shirt under a superbike racing wind breaker + chest waders. Works on trout, salmon, steelhead, and sturgeon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T
troutmasta
ChezJfrey said:
Except for the latex gloves...the real key is the fingerless wool gloves

Have you tried them with latex underneath? OMG, just sayin....

oh and...

Last edited by a moderator:
Casting Call
Casting Call
The best rain pants I ever had was an old retired pair of super-light wt. breathable chest-high waders(camo of corse) with the feet cut off and calf hi water proof corks. Now ur ready to bushwack and climb down the banks and fish on some never used surface bolders. Retired waders have all the room you need for under garments with pockets.Tony

B
BlueSkye
Seems like no matter what you wear your gonna get soaked here. I always bring some dry stuff to change when I am done. Plus some hot tea or cocoa to warm the bones after a good day of fishing in the rain ;).

H
halibuthitman
Grundens makes a line of gortex jackets and pants that sells for about $120 for the set, comes in most colors and now they even have it in two versions of camo (which comes in nice when you are trespassing.. Kidding of course) if you are curious about the quality the top jacket is the preferred piece of rain gear for the Bering sea and Oregon boast crab fleets. You can get it at Fishermens cabelas and sportsmens, but Englund marine has the best selection.

H
halibuthitman
The lines name is Gage-