Quick-start for steelheading?

D
Dweller
I may have a chance to get a line wet next weekend, but will be a week early for trout. I have been thinking this is the year to get setup for steelhead, and assuming I have not missed the window, I would like to get out next weekend to try them.

Equipment question:
I have a 9' 6-10 rod, but need a reel. I will likely go with a Shimano Sedona 2500 unless someone convinces me the 4000 is the way to go. I want to be able to fish dbobber and spinner so am thinking I would spool it with 8-10 pound braid for bobber fishing then tie on a good length of mono for the spinner fishing (unless I can find a spare spool this week, then I will fill each separately with braid and mono). Does this sound like a workable plan?

Spinners sized 2-3? Does this sound about right? I believe that we are at the tail end of the winter run and they tend to go for the larger, noisier, flashier stuff but the summer runs like it smaller and less spooky.

Should I float a jig under the bobber or use bait? (regulations pending of course. Still need to review them).

So, all those questions aside, will I be wasting my time? The Goodbye thread leaves me thinking I missed the run and I will just be flogging the water for a couple of days.

Thanks for any input you can provide. I have been fishing trout for years, and the wait for the May opener seems to get more and more painful every year, so it is time to step up to something that will allow me to get out more often.

T
Throbbit _Shane
Try spoons too. I started steelhead fishing this year and spoons worked great for me from the banks.

J
JeannaJigs
Depends on what system you're gonna be fishing? Down here the summer fish are in the willamette, mckenzie, santiams. Winter season closed on the coastal rivers around here. I'm an advocate for jigs and a float ;) but summer fish will hit just about anything if you get it in front of them. Smaller is usually better, but sometimes big and ugly makes 'em mad too.

D
Dweller
JeannaJigs said:
Depends on what system you're gonna be fishing?

I guess that is kind of important, isn't it. This will be on the main stream of the Wilson.

J
JeannaJigs
Yep.. lol I have only fished the Wilson twice, so I'm not gonna be much help with specifics there, but several guys fish the Wilson religiously. Beaverfan worships the wilson, he will probably chime in.

S
steelhead1
Dweller said:
I may have a chance to get a line wet next weekend, but will be a week early for trout. I have been thinking this is the year to get setup for steelhead, and assuming I have not missed the window, I would like to get out next weekend to try them.

Equipment question:
I have a 9' 6-10 rod, but need a reel. I will likely go with a Shimano Sedona 2500 unless someone convinces me the 4000 is the way to go. I want to be able to fish dbobber and spinner so am thinking I would spool it with 8-10 pound braid for bobber fishing then tie on a good length of mono for the spinner fishing (unless I can find a spare spool this week, then I will fill each separately with braid and mono). Does this sound like a workable plan?

Spinners sized 2-3? Does this sound about right? I believe that we are at the tail end of the winter run and they tend to go for the larger, noisier, flashier stuff but the summer runs like it smaller and less spooky.

Should I float a jig under the bobber or use bait? (regulations pending of course. Still need to review them).

So, all those questions aside, will I be wasting my time? The Goodbye thread leaves me thinking I missed the run and I will just be flogging the water for a couple of days.

Thanks for any input you can provide. I have been fishing trout for years, and the wait for the May opener seems to get more and more painful every year, so it is time to step up to something that will allow me to get out more often.
I dont know much about the wilson run timing,so I can't help you there.Your rod will be fine for throwing a spinner(I prefer a shorter, stouter rod for spinners,but its a personal preference thing)And it is a good length for a float setup.I usually run a 4000 for (winter) steelhead,and a smaller/lighter setup for summers.Shimano is a good reel,but I have had better luck with pfluger (again just a preferance).Spinners and spoons can be very effective for both seasons of fish,just remember to run them deep and slow.Steelheading is a challenging pursuit,It took many years before I started landing fish consistantly. It is also very rewarding!Be persistant,be confident,cover lots of water and you will catch fish:D