Question on my experience thus far

M
mrlindeman
I have been using float and jigs or shrimp or eggs for trout for quite some time now. I have been very successfull in rivers for good sized trout pretty much anytime I go now. I was just wondering, a lot of times I target Steelhead I am getting trout or smaller fish biting a lot even when I use my larger steelhead gear this season. Trout season is over of course lol. I try to set my depth down but wind up on the bottom. I am fishing what I know to be good holds but am I correct in assuming that where there are trout biting there should be some holding larger fish of the steelhead variety or even salmon? Im just asking cause I am still persuing these fish and feel I am close to getting one but could use some reassurance that I am in the right direction. Thanks for any help.

Bud.

D
dtikey
sounds like your in the right area to me.I pick up lots of trout drift fishing and bobber fishing.a lot of the times they are just more aggressive then the steelhead/salmon and the eyes are bigger then thier mouths it seems like sometimes.If your hitting lots of trout try fishing little lower in the hole where the steelhead might be laying behind the trout instead of below them because lots of times they will hold at the same depth which is close to the bottom as the food will float just above or right at them.Hopes this helps you some and get the bend in the rod

R
rippin fish lips
dtikey said:
sounds like your in the right area to me.I pick up lots of trout drift fishing and bobber fishing.a lot of the times they are just more aggressive then the steelhead/salmon and the eyes are bigger then thier mouths it seems like sometimes.If your hitting lots of trout try fishing little lower in the hole where the steelhead might be laying behind the trout instead of below them because lots of times they will hold at the same depth which is close to the bottom as the food will float just above or right at them.Hopes this helps you some and get the bend in the rod

What Mike just said! If you are getting into trout you are in the right area's. Steelhead will tend to hold below the trout at the same level they are holding at. Mike is dead on about their eyes bein bigger then there mouth sometimes. If i get into trout in 1 spot i try and work every ripple/rock/seam around the trout.

Once u have done that, start over. Go back through the trout, then work your way around them.

Don't forget about pink worms under a float! Lots of times trout will leave them alone and will trigger the bigger fish to bite. watched a kid out fish everyone this year recently with a pink worm!

Last edited:
M
mrlindeman
Thanks so much guys! :)

S
steelhead_stalkers
In our experience it seems like if there are any steelhead around they will push the trout out of the hole and towards the bank. We catch a lot of trout near the bank but if you are catching them in the main part of the holding water most likely the steelhead are not there. When we are fishing very good looking water and the trout are not biting we can almost guarantee to hook up with a steelhead. We use lots of smaller trout type lures, jigs and bait for steelhead so catching trout is always happening for us. Just something to think about. Keep in mind just because there are trout in one spot on a certain day and no steelhead does not mean that steelhead won't be there the next day and have moved the trout out. We fish a small river in the winter that has a ton of trout but we rarly catch them when the steelhead are in. In the summer the same river is packed with trout in all of the holes when the steelhead leave. Also, this seems to be the norm for winter steelhead, but happens a lot with summers too.

R
rippin fish lips
steelhead_stalkers said:
When we are fishing very good looking water and the trout are not biting we can almost guarantee to hook up with a steelhead.

The last 2 years of steelhead fishing, i learned that too. If trout aren't biting, there is most likely a bigger fish around somewhere. Half of my steelhead this year were caught while chasing trout, some days trout fishing would be real good, then the next day it would be completly dead for trout, but on fire for steelhead in the same area.

M
mrlindeman
Thank you so much! I think with combined methods applied I will definatly increase my chances. I use smaller presentations as well and think this would help indefinatly. I will keep a the great tips in mind when out next and report on my findings :)