Prop pitch?

J

joeyota

Well props are not cheep and I have a need for speed. I have a 13.25x17 on my motor now. I am looking at going to a 13.25x19 or 13.25x21. The boat just jumps right out of the water now and the tach hits 6000 really quick. I love the fact I take of so quick but would like to gain a little more speed. I was wondering if any one had any experience with props like this. I would hate to put to much prop on it and never get up to speed.

Last time I thought that the boat was to slow I put an extra 40 hp on the back of it. I have hit my limit with the size of motor I can put on the boat. I may be a little crazy but I do like speed.

I have a 17ft Alumaweld with a 90horse Honda V-tech. I have the kicker for going slow.

Thanks Joe

F

fyshslayer

prop pitch

prop pitch

Joeyota, I have the same situation with my boat I also have a 90hp Honda with the same prop you have on my 18' Alum it looks a lot like the pic you have posted.I haven't solved the problem by spending the bucks yet but I have been talking to people who know more about it than we do and they said to only go up 1 size at a time they also suggested that I go to a 19 pitch. One of my friends has been researching it also said that other folks with the same problem seem to think that it's a good idea to use a Honda prop rather than an after market prop.I have been told that some marinas will let you try a prop and then exchange it for another, if it's not damaged..I hope this helps...fyshslayer

J

joeyota

Joeyota, I have the same situation with my boat I also have a 90hp Honda with the same prop you have on my 18' Alum it looks a lot like the pic you have posted.I haven't solved the problem by spending the bucks yet but I have been talking to people who know more about it than we do and they said to only go up 1 size at a time they also suggested that I go to a 19 pitch. One of my friends has been researching it also said that other folks with the same problem seem to think that it's a good idea to use a Honda prop rather than an after market prop.I have been told that some marinas will let you try a prop and then exchange it for another, if it's not damaged..I hope this helps...fyshslayer

I wonder why Honda prop? I do know that some are better than others, thicker thinner metal and such? I have not checked prices for Honda props. I found some after market ones for $105. That includes a hub adapter to make it fit. I will do some checking and see what a Honda one will cost but I am sure it is allot more.

J

joeyota

Thanks for your input! When I get it figured out I will be sure to let you know how it performs.

Thanks Joe

J

joeyota

I talked with Clemons marina. The guy said that the 90 horse V-tech motors are supposed to run around 6000rpms. They have 2 19 pitch props on the shelf I am going to go get one today or tomorrow and see what it does for me. They are $80 each.

H

Hawk

I have a 460 Ford. You want to Race???...............................:lol::lol::lol:..........................:cool:.............................:dance::dance::dance:

J

joeyota

I got the 13.25x19 prop today looks like Sunday will be the soonest I can give it a run.

G

GraphiteZen

A while back I went for a boat ride with an ex World Of Outlaws driver after he built up a Mercury to 400hp and put it on the back of a 12' fiberglass ski boat...

Holy.

Cow.

:pray::pray::pray::pray:

Last edited:
J

joeyota

A while back I went for a boat ride with an ex World Of Outlaws driver after he built up a Mercury to 400hp and put it on the back of a 12' fiberglass ski boat...

Holy.

Cow.

:pray::pray::pray::pray:

Ya I imagine that it was a little slow on take off and didn't get up much speed.

I bet that was a fun ride!

J

joeyota

Well the new prop was a sad disappointment. I gained a whole whopping 1.5mph. I think it would go a little faster if giving a little more water. I went out to cottage grove lake. the lake was low and full of wood some small some big chunks. We went slow till we found a safe path through all the debris.

So going from a 13.25x17 to a 13x19 didn't do a whole lot. Ran at 5800 rpms. Took off ever so slightly slower. Slowed down a lot slower when going full speed to nothing, Before when you let of the throttle it would just about stop on a dime. Now it stops on more like a dollar. I am not sure if I am going to try another prop or not. I am going to do some more research and see what rpms those 90 horse Honda V-tech's are suppose to run at.

W

Webwader

If you are already getting 6000 RPM with your current prop, it sounds like you are pretty close to the max. Going to a bigger prop, as you found out, is going to reduce max RPMs. If the recommended redline on your Honda is greater than 6000 RPM, you would want a prop with less pitch so that you can achieve higher RPM and a faster top end.

Y

yfz450guy

if you are running an aluminum prop now then switch to a stainless version of the same size and pitch.
the aluminum tends to flex a lot and the s/s won't flex nearly as much if at all.

J

joeyota

if you are running an aluminum prop now then switch to a stainless version of the same size and pitch.
the aluminum tends to flex a lot and the s/s won't flex nearly as much if at all.

I have never thought of that. I will have to save up a while before I can afford a stainless prop. I have noticed that the factory props are a little thin.

Thanks Joe

Y

yfz450guy

do what i did and find out what other manufacture's (sp) have the same size shaft and spline count and depth of the hub. i have a 1988 force outboard and found that the merc bravo i/o props will fit if i removed the thrust washer. that in turn allowed me to find a s/s prop on craigs list for $75.

J

joeyota

do what i did and find out what other manufacture's (sp) have the same size shaft and spline count and depth of the hub. i have a 1988 force outboard and found that the merc bravo i/o props will fit if i removed the thrust washer. that in turn allowed me to find a s/s prop on craigs list for $75.

I not sure if I could desecrate my Honda with a merc or evenrude, or whatever brand of prop? He-he!

That is as good Idea I just am not to good with the whole research thing, I will look around though.