Problem tying up for springers

R
Redfox458
So, I am new to the whole spring chinook run. I have been working all night on tying up my two poles and I'm starting to get frustrated. I am running 30 lb Maxima ultragreen for the main line, to a three way swivel, about a foot or so lead line, and then about three or so feet of leader. My problem now is I'm still using the 30 lb test for leader and trying to tie an egg loop on a 1/0 hook. I'm guessing either the line is too heavy or the hook is too small to create a sufficient knot. Any advice?? :pray::pray:
 
A
Anyfishisfine
I'd use no more than 10 or 12 for the leader. I'm going to be switching from the 10 I was using for winters to 8 for summers and springers soon. You want to fight them with your drag and not horse them in with heavy line.
 
R
Redfox458
Anyfishisfine said:
I'd use no more than 10 or 12 for the leader. I'm going to be switching from the 10 I was using for winters to 8 for summers and springers soon. You want to fight them with your drag and not horse them in with heavy line.

Well that would explain why I was having one HECK of a time tying on a 1/0 hook. I was tying them with an egg loop knot, and that would BARELY work. Obviously the 30lb is just too thick for trying to tie onto a 1/0 hook. Thank you Anyfish, I think I'll be hitting up Fisherman's tomorrow on my lunchbreak so I can get the rest of my gear ready!!
 
S
SantiamDrifter
well you kinda answered your own question there. You need a bigger hook for a 30# test line. Although I always try and run a smaller leader then mainline, and for sure always run a smaller # test for your dropper. That way in case you snag you wont lose all your gear. What type of fishin are you gunna be doing, and where? Are you plunking?
 
R
Redfox458
SantiamDrifter said:
well you kinda answered your own question there. You need a bigger hook for a 30# test line. Although I always try and run a smaller leader then mainline, and for sure always run a smaller # test for your dropper. That way in case you snag you wont lose all your gear. What type of fishin are you gunna be doing, and where? Are you plunking?

Well I have 30lb test for my mainline and 12lb test for my leadline. So I'm still deciding on leader...anywhere between 12lb and like 15-20ish, just in case. I'm hoping to be going on the Willamette, fishing from a boat....probably a spin n glow with a prawn tail.
 
S
SantiamDrifter
Redfox458 said:
Well I have 30lb test for my mainline and 12lb test for my leadline. So I'm still deciding on leader...anywhere between 12lb and like 15-20ish, just in case. I'm hoping to be going on the Willamette, fishing from a boat....probably a spin n glow with a prawn tail.

I'd bump your hook size up. Then running 15# test wont be a problem. And if your gunna be running a spinning prawn, look at getting some bead chains.
 
P
plumb2fish
Springers in the Willy...Don't be afraid to run 3/0 or 4/0 in fact thats a good combo on a herring rig. I would increase my leader length to 4-6' in length. If you are running 30 for main, I would not go less than 20 for leader. Springers have teeth that will nick your leader. They are not line shy like a steelhead. And as previously stated bead chain swivels are a good idea in the middle of your leader
 
Last edited:
R
Redfox458
Well thanks to Fisherman's for hooking me up (no pun intended). I'm now sporting a 3/0 hook with Maxima clear 25 lb test. The guy there even gave me a scrap piece of line so I could see how it all tied together. Now I gotta look for some bead chain swivels (guess I spaced that one today). Thanks to everybody's input! Now I gotta wait for it to stop raining so darn much!!
 
M
Mike123
I would definitely go with 20lb - 30lb leader... If you get a sea lion chasing your fish your not gonna want 10 or 12lb...
Run P-Line CXX for leader and use like 20lb if you want. That stuff in 20lb test is like 25lb in normal mono. And it blends well in the Moss Green color. They aren't that line shy most of the time. Some people use 40lb.
 
S
SantiamDrifter
Mike123 said:
I would definitely go with 20lb - 30lb leader... If you get a sea lion chasing your fish your not gonna want 10 or 12lb...
Run P-Line CXX for leader and use like 20lb if you want. That stuff in 20lb test is like 25lb in normal mono. And it blends well in the Moss Green color. They aren't that line shy most of the time. Some people use 40lb.

Yes! CXX xtra strength. I run that on all my reels... It really is nice.
 
S
SNDSLGR
3/0--4/0 hooks and no less than 25# leader from a boat. I have had 3 fish get to the net on 25# this year and in the bonking process the line broke the rest of the way. So I figure I only had a few head shakes left before I was snapped off. I have bumped up to 30# leader and not had any more problems. For Kwickfish and spin-glo type set ups I would be using 40# fer sure. Cutt-plug hearing the lighter leader gives you a better action so I like the 30#.

These things are not line shy, least not in the big rivers and using that light leader drift fishing mentality will have you crying yourself to sleep at night.
 
R
Redfox458
SNDSLGR said:
3/0--4/0 hooks and no less than 25# leader from a boat. I have had 3 fish get to the net on 25# this year and in the bonking process the line broke the rest of the way. So I figure I only had a few head shakes left before I was snapped off. I have bumped up to 30# leader and not had any more problems. For Kwickfish and spin-glo type set ups I would be using 40# fer sure. Cutt-plug hearing the lighter leader gives you a better action so I like the 30#.

These things are not line shy, least not in the big rivers and using that light leader drift fishing mentality will have you crying yourself to sleep at night.

Thank you SND! I have both 25# and 30# test leader material. I have a half dozen leaders tied up in my tackle box all ready to go. Now to find a non muddy river to actually fish in!!
 
S
SNDSLGR
Anywhere above Kelly point will fish just fine right now. Davis bar and the Interstate stretch are both producing fish today.
 
S
Specialed
SNDSLGR said:
Anywhere above Kelly point will fish just fine right now. Davis bar and the Interstate stretch are both producing fish today.
Where is Davis Bar? I'm not finding it-just curious, thanks, Ed
 
S
SNDSLGR
On the Columbia right across the river from Kelly Point, there will be about 200 of your closest friends there to show you where to troll.
 

Similar threads

bass
Replies
0
Views
1K
bass
bass
G
Replies
5
Views
1K
hobster
hobster
O
Replies
9
Views
2K
Davpot
D
F
Replies
23
Views
5K
olshiftybiscuits
O
jamisonace
Replies
0
Views
2K
jamisonace
jamisonace
Top Bottom