Pre storm steel

hobster
I was fortunate enough to get the day off today, and decided i would give it a go for the first time this year for winters. After seeing Rogers report at Lake creek the Slaw didn't look too promising, so i drove the extra half hour and headed north to another costal river (you know the one). I was amazed at the water conditions, not too high and green as could be. I hiked up river with my buddy Deaner (my dog ) to avoid the crowds and only ran into a couple of other fisherman. I drifted corkies and threw a few spinners with no luck, hitting several promising looking areas. After about 3 hours i decided to bust out the 10.5 ft bobber rod and ran a pink worm through a nice looking slot. Still nothing, then i tied on a handmade jig next. Another angler showed up on the other side of the river and i thought i'd let him give it a shot at the slot. I was just about to leave then i thought what the hell one more cast, down slides the bobber and it was on. That awesome heart pounding blood pumping feeling i haven't felt since february when i hooked my last steelhead ( i hardly bothered last summer with the drought). So stoked, i missed that feeling so much! Nice chrome cookie cutter hen and a great fight. I was wading so as soon as i saw she was a hatchery i wore her down and tailed her, it took some time but was awesome! I've only fished this river 3 or 4 times and it's been 3 years, so it was extra satisfying since i'm not too farmiliar. My earliest winter ever, and a good day to be on the river cause they are gonna blow!! The pictures kinda suck, but....

T
troutmasta
I was on the same river. It was beautiful. Silver Audi...did you see me?

Anyhoot, I got a pretty little chromer myself-

Tight lines

troutdude
Excellent! Enjoy your dinner.

rogerdodger
awesome and awesome....

T
TimberTodd
Nice catch!

hobster

Tight lines

Damn, bummed i missed you. I wanted to give you some crap about your football team :lol: Didn't really notice the cars, i was focused! Hope our paths cross soon.

L
LuckyFisher
I hit the same river today and no love for me. But boy was the river crazy packed for a Wednesday!!! I am hoping it was just because the other rivers around were not as fishable and not a preview of what it is going to be like the rest of the year.

O
OnTheDrop

Tight lines

Well done Hob...

Jeff, he wasn't that far North..

O
OnTheDrop
I hit the same river today and no love for me. But boy was the river crazy packed for a Wednesday!!! I am hoping it was just because the other rivers around were not as fishable and not a preview of what it is going to be like the rest of the year.

Doubt it, that little rivers pressure is down right disgusting, unfortunately!

hobster
Doubt it, that little rivers pressure is down right disgusting, unfortunately!

Yeah, thats why i don't go there too much (Slaw ain't much better). Like i said though, do a little hiking and get away from the crowds, only a couple of other anglers within a couple hundred yards. It gets a lot worse Luckyfisher!

O
OnTheDrop
Yeah, thats why i don't go there too much (Slaw ain't much better). Like i said though, do a little hiking and get away from the crowds, only a couple of other anglers within a couple hundred yards. It gets a lot worse Luckyfisher!

I found low water in March my favorite time to hit it