Poor Coho

O
OnTheFly
I watched the video twice and I didn't notice any harsh handling of the fish. What am I missing?

M
markasd
Not so much the handling of the fish as the fact they know they're on spawner coho and keep on fishin' em.... there are no winters in there.

I guess its a little personal knowing exactly where they are, and how bad of shape those coho were/are in...

Not sure that the buck he released could spawn now that all his semen went down the dudes waders...

O
OnTheFly
Gotcha. Fishing over spawning fish is a mistake. We should call Rick's Guide Service and point it out. They should know better right?

brandon4455
brandon4455
whenever you suspect steelhead to be near spawning fish it's smart to fish below the spawning grounds for the steelhead and not right in them, the steel would be below them eating all the eggs the same with trout. which makes me think they were not steelhead fishing at all. they were after coho eggs possibly?

troutdude
troutdude
OnTheFly said:
Gotcha. Fishing over spawning fish is a mistake. We should call Rick's Guide Service and point it out. They should know better right?

Agreed. Not the best way to handle any fish, let alone a spawner.

And it sure seems like Rick's Guide Service in Salem, doesn't have much in the Ethics Department. Just my .02.

Does anyone know what river they were fishing?

B
bigdog
That can't be good for biss lol. I mean come on who would pay a guilde to take them to fish spawning fish.

brandon4455
brandon4455
bigdog said:
That can't be good for biss lol. I mean come on who would pay a guilde to take them to fish spawning fish.

fishgod84 would LOL

M
Moe
Thats pretty messed up u guys see that sperm spilling out? Poor fish banging around on the bank.

P
Phil_Bud
Yeah I see what you mean. I definitly woulda handled and released it a little different. Not too much wrong with how he did it, I've seen much worse, he is just an ill-informed fisherman. Theres a lot out there. I KNOW THE FEELING OF EMPATHY YOU FEEL FOR THE FISH, I OFTEN DO TOO. MORE PEOPLE NEED TO SEE WILD/HATCHERY PACIFIC SALMONID FOR WHAT THEY TRUELY ARE...THE MOST PRECIOUS RESOURCE ON THE WEST COAST...NOT ONLY FOR THE PEOPLE BUT FOR THE WHOLE ECOSYSTEM.

brandon4455
brandon4455
well, if it were a fresh chrome hatchery fish i was keeping i would freak out to grab it like he did, but if it was being released i would not have struggled to grab it and slam it up against the bankl to get ahold of it.

T
tnffishman
I agree that he handled the situation wrong, but do we know that there was only natives in the hole? For all we know there could've been keepable hatchery fish in the hole. And I would've done the exact same thing landing a fish that size with the exception of holding it up for so long and putting my face up next to it.

S
stream2.5
you try tailing a coho lately... the fct he held it as long as he did is actually quite feat. granted if it was a releaser i wouldnt have been so agressive to remove it from the water... but with no net i dont see much more he could have done differently....

P
ProfessorChromology
Amen.

B
beaverfan
stream2.5 said:
you try tailing a coho lately... the fct he held it as long as he did is actually quite feat. granted if it was a releaser i wouldnt have been so agressive to remove it from the water... but with no net i dont see much more he could have done differently....

WRONG dude could have very easily walked downstream about 10 feet downstream to where the water is very shallow and released it! Would have been a much better way to do it and he still would have got some decent shots of the fish!

B
beaverfan
If you look at his youtube channel he claims to be the captain of a charter boat for Tradewinds in Depoe Bay.

J
JeannaJigs
Wow thats special. I tailed many coho this year, it's not that challenging if a girl can do it, right.