Pontoon question.......

D
desertbull
All input is appreciated on this!

This is my first post on this site.

I am in the market for a pontoon and want a good setup as I will be in it for hours pounding the depths of my favorite big trout waters.

I have looked at some units and you obviously get what you pay for. Do you guys have any input or preferences? Most appreciated.

My wife loves to fish as much as I do and initially I was thinking I'll just get a 2-seater pontoon (w/removable seat) so if she or fishing partner couldn't go, but that is not realistic I don't think. Ideas?

I am very serious about spending a lot of time out there and plan on attaching a small trolling motor so I can get back and turn into a Search & Rescue mission.

Any SERIOUS big trout chasers out there? I'd like to discuss your approach, favorite flies, etc.

Time to get ready now!!

H
halibuthitman
welcome to the forum-

jamisonace
jamisonace
Welcome! I wish I had more info for you. All I can say I went cheap on a pontoon and I never liked it. Gave it up and went with a drift boat. The only thing nice about my small (7' pontoons) cheap ($200) set up was it was light (55lbs). I could pack it in to lakes that weren't too far off the road. Farthest I ever packed it was just under a mile over flat terrain. I'm not sure I could have done too much more than that.

I'm sure if you go high end, which it sounds like you will, you will like it much more than I liked mine.

Good luck.

F
fishing_mission
I have a 9' pontoon that I got from bi mart (cheap) $280 but I have not been disappointed with it at all. I have floated the rogue river with it with no problems and taken it to many lakes. It has a mount for a trolling motor and you can get an anchor for it. Overall it been aa great pontoon for the 2 years iv'e had it.

K
Keith
Costco has one right now that is really nice. I have had one for a few years and love it.

The think you want to look for is frame design and extra features: gear bags, back platform, motor mount, anchor system, etc.... The more features you get the more the cost.

The one at Costco is supplied by Classic Accessories ( you can look them up on the web and click around to see their private label toons). It has the same frame construction as the toons that cost in the $800 - $1,300 range, it has three oar positions, anchor system, motor mount etc.... It has a lot of features for the $299.99 and again the frame is really nice. Nine foot pontoons and long ours… 8 ft I think.

I have had mine for several years and it rocks. I get compliments on it all the time.

The only thing I do not like about it is that the toon diameter is not as large as some others and if you pump it up too much you can get a small hole in the inner toon. I have fixed mine a few times. A replacement inner pontoon is $21.00 and I have bought four of them. You sit up high out of the water – sometimes my feet get a little wet, but that is no problem. In the winter I have waders on and in the summer who cares?? ( I just tend to over-inflate the darn thing for some reason.)

Since I use it on lakes and smaller streams, I do not need a class 4 or class 5 rapid type toon. I put a Minn Kota 30 on the back of it and it rips right along. Add the gear bags and all the candy on it, and it becomes a heck of a buy; despite the above drawbacks.

I stay out on the water for hours. It is very comfortable.

Go to Fisherman’s and other places and look at toons in detail, write down features and cost then go look at this one, for the money you could buy one for your wife as well and still come out ahead.

I've sen the onoes at Bi-Mart and thise one has a better frame = stronger. But they are a great deal as well.

Good luck.

Last edited:
jamisonace
jamisonace
I had the same over inflation issue. What I found was that I was inflating it in the morning when it was cold and as the air warmed and expanded so did the pontoon and it would become over inflated. Maybe your having the same issue.

Keith said:
Costco has one right now that is really nice. I have had one for a few years and love it.

The think you want to look for is frame design and extra features: gear bags, back platform, motor mount, anchor system, etc.... The more features you get the more the cost.

The one at Costco is supplied by Classic Accessories ( you can look them up on the web and click around to see their private label toons). It has the same frame construction as the toons that cost in the $800 - $1,300 range, it has three oar positions, anchor system, motor mount etc.... It has a lot of features for the $299.99 and again the frame is really nice. Nine foot pontoons and long ours… 8 ft I think.

I have had mine for several years and it rocks. I get compliments on it all the time.

The only thing I do not like about it is that the toon diameter is not as large as some others and if you pump it up too much you can get a small hole in the inner toon. I have fixed mine a few times. A replacement inner pontoon is $21.00 and I have bought four of them. You sit up high out of the water – sometimes my feet get a little wet, but that is no problem. In the winter I have waders on and in the summer who cares?? ( I just tend to over-inflate the darn thing for some reason.)

Since I use it on lakes and smaller streams, I do not need a class 4 or class 5 rapid type toon. I put a Minn Kota 30 on the back of it and it rips right along. Add the gear bags and all the candy on it, and it becomes a heck of a buy; despite the above drawbacks.

I stay out on the water for hours. It is very comfortable.

Go to Fisherman’s and other places and look at toons in detail, write down features and cost then go look at this one, for the money you could buy one for your wife as well and still come out ahead.

I've sen the onoes at Bi-Mart and thise one has a better frame = stronger. But they are a great deal as well.

Good luck.

O
OnTheFly
Here's an option. Give Ninja2010 a pm regarding his inflatable. He's got a motor and electric pump for it and two people fit comfortably. Fits nicely in a car trunk.

P1000539.jpg

T
todd_brooks
I guess the question of rather a two man toon is realistic or not depends on your budget. I recommend looking on Craigslist, thats where I found mine. Search as far from you as you'd be willing to drive for a great deal. Maybe the biggest consideration is what water you'll be fishing. If its just still water there's no need for a high end unit thats made to take on rapids. If flat waters what your looking to fish look into a fold cat. Deals to be had and plenty of room. What is your budget?

As for over inflation keep in mind toons work on air volume not pressure. And environment factors can play a big roll as mentioned. I.E. don't drive over the pass with full toons or forget to check em on a hot day. Or it may ruin your whole trip.

Last edited:
D
desertbull
First off, thanks a bunch guys! I'll go scope out the COSTCO model right now and REALLY check it out.

I just want to get squared away and really pound it. best regards from frozen, snowy Bend! I have already heard a few disaster stories about tube a poppin!!!

Last edited:
M
Manyo12
What about a kayak setup for fishing as opposed to a pontoon. Wouldnt that be more stable?

D
desertbull
Thanks bud, tight lines!

K
Keith
Thanks for the atmospheric pressure and air temp. advice. I am pretty vigilant when it comes to letting air out of the toon before it ruptures. :shock::shock:

The thing is, on the one I have, the "inner" tube has a visible “seam” on it. It is along this "seam" that the "tear" occurs when/if it is overinflated... or so it seems. HA HA pun intended! :D

I have patched it and glued it a few times in the years I have had it..... now I am lazy and have four extra "inner" tubes in the garage and simply throw in a new one if needed... Happens to me about once per year. ( Always carry a spare and a patch kit on trips – good advice for anyone.)

But a comparable toon is $1,000 or more…… so, since a replacement “inner” tube is about 20 bucks....... well you get the point!

K
Keith
By the way, be sure to enjoy Eberhard's dairy products while in Central Oregon!

V
veilside180sx
Classic Accessories toon's like the one at Costco are cheap garbage. I would rather run a Rivendell from Bi-Mart than than a CA boat. (not that either one is nice)

K
Keith
veilside180sx said:
Classic Accessories toon's like the one at Costco are cheap garbage. I would rather run a Rivendell from Bi-Mart than than a CA boat. (not that either one is nice)

Yep, they are crap... just like your input.

Oh no, I got forum guy upset with me... darn. :rolleyes:

I never claimed they are top-o-the-line. But they have lots of features that the expensive boats have and unless you are taking them down heavy rapids they are just fine....

S**T man, I use mine for crabbing in the bays with no issues....

My buddy rides a Rivendale and I have to carry his f'n beer 'cause I have all the storage space... What's up dork??

Lighten up Francis.... "Stripes" reference.. Anyone... anyone???

Last edited:
V
veilside180sx
Your inexperienced in this, so I'll let it slide.

Anytime you wish to put your little piece to work on a river that isn't flat water...your welcome to come along.=) I don't define Class 2 as a heavy rapid, but it's plenty to make a CA owner run and hide. You might want to leave your beer at home though...

If you wish to use your toon on Class I water or stillwater OP, then by all means purchase one.

Keith said:
Yep, they are crap... just like your input.

Oh no, I got forum guy upset with me... darn. :rolleyes:

I never claimed they are top-o-the-line. But they have lots of features that the expensive boats have and unless you are taking them down heavy rapids they are just fine....

S**T man, I use mine for crabbing in the bays with no issues....

My buddy rides a Rivendale and I have to carry his f'n beer 'cause I have all the storage space... What's up dork??

Lighten up Francis.... "Stripes" reference.. Anyone... anyone???

F
fish4life
My thoughts would be to get a small aluminum boat, you can find them cheap on craigs list and if you get a 10 or 12 footer you can throw it in back of a pickup or be able to tow it with a car.

F
Finneus Polebender
My next toon will be a creek co xr12 its a 12 ft 2 person craft with all the usable options available got the good rubberized toons and just about the cheapest of its type at 2000 bones . If you visit the site often "creekcompany.com " 3-4 times a year they have 25-50 % off sales just been saving my pennies with any luck perhaps this summer. Defintely pay a little more you will never regret it good luck.Here is the link http://creekcompany.com/product.php?productid=16160&cat=0&page=&featured=Y

Last edited:
T
todd_brooks
Thats a nice toon but, I'd look to put my money in a used boat with bladder less toons soooo much better that light weight bladders in my book.

B
benkearney
Finneus Polebender said:
My next toon will be a creek co xr12 its a 12 ft 2 person craft with all the usable options available got the good rubberized toons and just about the cheapest of its type at 2000 bones . If you visit the site often "creekcompany.com " 3-4 times a year they have 25-50 % off sales just been saving my pennies with any luck perhaps this summer. Defintely pay a little more you will never regret it good luck.Here is the link http://creekcompany.com/product.php?productid=16160&cat=0&page=&featured=Y

You mean this one? On sale for $1,400. http://www.sierratradingpost.com/th...~p~2458m/?filterString=s~boat/&colorFamily=99

Plus if you sign up for STP's deal email you will quickly see that extra 20-40% off is not uncommon.

I LOVE sierratrading