Plugs for winter steelhead?

T

towne821

what are some good size for plugs for winter steelhead on the Sandy/Clack

I was looking at some hotshots and wasn't sure which ones to buy.

Are hotshots (or there generics) the ones I should be using?

Thanks guys in advance.

D

Drachir

My best of all time for Winter Steelies, is a #35 Hot Shot, Gold in Color and w/Rattle. I don't know if that one is produced any longer, so if you find them, buy all you can. Good Luck.:)

Irishrover

Irishrover

Most Featured
All these are good plugs you can pick up at Bi Mart or just about any fishing store state wide.... #1 Hot Shots #2 Tadpolys #3 Storm Wiggle Wort

They all come in different sizes and different colors. My luckest is a greem Magnum Wiggle Wort. Size and color is water dependent and of course what mood I'm in.;)

M

mlw

Irishrover - ever try throwing those on a fly line (skagit)?
Michael

B

bigsteel

when casting plugs from the bank do you need to add weight or let it dive naturally,,,what is a good setup for using plugs?

Irishrover

Irishrover

Most Featured
Irishrover - ever try throwing those on a fly line (skagit)?
Michael
No but I'm a little slow thinking outside of the box! I'll give it a try. It should be fun, thanks for the idea. Just be around to pull that thing out of the back of my head.

Last edited:
Irishrover

Irishrover

Most Featured
when casting plugs from the bank do you need to add weight or let it dive naturally,,,what is a good setup for using plugs?
I use plugs from my drift boat especially when I'm doing the rowing. I tie stright to the leader no weight then let it float down stream. When I go to work on the oars the plug dives. You can use them from shore but you need current to get them to dive. Some folks use weight with a plunking set up. There is a great book out by Robert H. Campbell call Illustrated Rigging for Salmon.Steelhed.Trout. It has a chapter on Plug Fishing Alternatives. Ask Santa to be nice and pick one up for you at Bi Mart

Last edited:
Top Bottom