Oh so happy....

D
Damon79
I am so happy to see this forum finally. A place for us to post reports and such on the Siuslaw alone. Looks like the river levels are not gonna cooperate well for a while, but should be fishable this weekend. Not sure about water color though, likely to be like chocolate milk still. Supposed to be down to about 8.5' Saturday which I like to fish, but conditions may say otherwise.. Look forward to reading all the local posts...

C
crusty old fisherman
I dont worry about color to much when it starts to turn tan from chocolate brown its very fishable. I have caught fish when the water has only 1 or 2 foot of visability up there below whiteker creek I just beef up on color and size of corkie

crusty

S
stanster
Might as well post the first message here. I am delighted to find this forum. I'm soon to be retired [April 1 or there abouts] and am moving to Florence. My wife is a native Oregonian and has family there. We are all SICK of California generally and Los Angeles County in particular. I'm an enthusiastic salt water fisherman here in Southern California - mostly for tuna but also yellowtail, sharks or whatever else is biting that is good to eat. I am looking forward to doing some salmon fishing on the Oregon Coast and will also take up fly fishing, something I've always wanted to do.

Already this forum has been a wealth of info to this old lurker and I hope to be able to contribute to the knowledge base as soon as I get settled in.

Tight lines to you all.

Stanster

C
crusty old fisherman
welcome to the board stan I am sure you will find plenty of people in here that can point you in the general direction for your pursuits. I know they do a lot of tuna fishing outof the ports of newport, reedsport and coosbay but I am not sure how many boats go out in the florence area. of course you have to travel a lot further out for tuna on the oregon coast as our waters are much colder then southern california.

crusty

S
stanster
Thanks Crusty,

It loks like Newport is probably the best bet for Oregon Tuna but I am loking forward to doing more typically Oregonian fishing such as Salmon, Trout and Steelhead as well. Im not sure how productive the Siuslaw will be, but it APPEARS that there is good trout and steelhead fishing on the McKenzie which is not all that far. Being from SoCal I am used to driving both long distances and spending a great amount of time driving short distances. Right now, I can't wait to retire, rent the ole U-haul and drive up to Oregon.

Stanster

C
crusty old fisherman
hello stan,,, there are lots of fish on the siuslaw and a huge bay trolling fishery but it is hugely popular and bumper boats 7 days a week, but I am sure thats the norm in cali lol the mckenzie is a great fishery for spring salmon , steelhead and the upper river is outrageous for trout. there are lots of rivers within an hour from florence to fish and you can find salmon or steelhead year around in that hour drive.

Crusty