Nice not having to buy lures

Senkosam
Senkosam
Active member
Yesterday was phenomenal! The day was cloudy, chilly (50) with a steady +15 mph wind. The lake has a seasonal weed that grows thick in areas, thereby allowing only topwater lures. But once I left the dock, the sonar showed those weeds on the bottom but not near the surface, allowing casting all around the boat in 6-7’. If it wasn’t for me seeing baitfish schools on the sonar, I probably would have left. But first cast - a 9" crappie!
8 more crappie were caught casting around the boat and then I pulled up anchor and moved about 50’. More fish!
Many areas held fish which also included bass and sunnies. Four lures I cast, caught fish and one especially: a hybrid I made using 1" of a french fry body and thin tail from a molded lure. A 1/16 oz jig allowed good action in deeper water.
1777673097772.png

Three species attacked it !
1777673203663.png

Another sure thing lure is what I call the PILL: bodies of two tubes melted together:
nice crappie on the pill
A Runcle swimbait was also hammered:

Runcle swimbait
…and spike tail grub in an unnatural color:
orange yellow spike tail crappie
If it wasn’t for me freezing in shorts and a thin sweatshirt, I would have caught more than 100 fish. But 79 fish that included many 9-10" crappie and 1.5 lb bass made my day!

IMG_0183
 
  • Like
  • Wow
Reactions: troutdude, Wheredafishat?, bass and 1 other person
I beat my record for that lake May 11 with nearly 120 fish caught.
 
  • Wow
  • Like
Reactions: Fred and Admin
Nice man
 
Numbers that high suggest hitting schools and catching over a dozen fish from each. Loosely suspending groups of fish hanging out in open water also adds up. Late summer has seen a large drop in numbers, with 30 being high. Fish can be anywhere in open water, not relating to structure. As we get closer to fall, things will pick up.
 

Similar threads

Senkosam
Replies
7
Views
543
copperjohn
copperjohn
Senkosam
Replies
2
Views
5K
Senkosam
Senkosam
Senkosam
Replies
0
Views
2K
Senkosam
Senkosam
Senkosam
Replies
9
Views
3K
Senkosam
Senkosam
Senkosam
Replies
15
Views
2K
Senkosam
Senkosam
Back
Top Bottom