Next best thing?

Gunga
So i have been calling around to all the places near me that sell marine plywood and only a couple sell them for less then 100 bucks. but they still sell them for over 85. Im not looking to spend that kind of money for a small project boat that i have. So i was wondering whats then next best plywood to use. Replaceing the small transom on the boat and the seat. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Tyler

Last edited:
M
mlw
How thick of plywood are you looking for? You could get a sheet of 3/8 Meranti and glue it up where you needed thicker. Otherwise a good (like A-B) fir plywood would do, Looking closely, I don't see any difference between marine and non-marine fir plywood (there used to be, the marine ply had no voids - but they have dumbed the specification down to meet the sort of wood they can get now.)
Michael

Gunga
I am wanting to get 3/4 to 1 inch. Do you know how much a 4 by 8 sheet of fir would be? And thanks!

GungasUncle
Dude, just get plain jane plywood and coat with epoxy & paint. It'll honestly outlast that little boat - no need to spend big coin on marine plywood for that boat.

Gunga
Thats what im saying. I dont want to spend a ton on it. So im wondering whats good besides marine. Im thinking of fixen the boat up wuen i get my paycheck.

H
Hawk
Imho just use an exterior grade (outside glues) 3/4" plywood & put on some Marine Spar Varnish. Some places might even cut it for you, bro.

Best of Luck to you.

Ask thuggin' what he used to put new bench seats in his boat.

Gunga
Imho just use an exterior grade (outside glues) 3/4" plywood & put on some Marine Spar Varnish. Some places might even cut it for you, bro.

Best of Luck to you.

Ask thuggin' what he used to put new bench seats in his boat.

Thanks hawk! I will most likely dot that. And i will ask thuggin about his bench seat.