New way of eating carp!!

F
Fishpdx
Hello guys,

I recently eat carp but I intend to eat clean water carp, but its still not as good as other fish. So I found out a way to have fun eating it.

So I fished Fairview Lake and caught about 3-4 inch carps, so I decided that there small and they don't smell as bad because there just born. So I can home cleaned the fish and put them in a bowl of water with 3 tablespoons of soy sauce, 2 tablespoons of salt. I left it in the fridge for 2 days to let the smell come out. And washed all the fish from the soy sauce and salt and I deep fryed them!!! They turned out to taste like chips because since the fish was really small you could eat it whole without taking out bones. And instead of eating popcorn or chips I used them!! while watching a movie!

F
fishinmachine
Was it real salty?

M
montym
If you are interested I can share some good Indian recipes for carp....

Admin
Admin
Go ahead and share

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

F
Fishpdx
fishinmachine said:
Was it real salty?

For me I like salty stuff so it was just perfect.

M
montym
Mike and Jeanna, I don't think you want to read on beyond this :)

I am sorry took me a lot of time to get back on this one. You can use this recipe for other fresh water fish also, worked very well for a Hagg lake bass the other day.

For cleaning the fish, we gut, gill and remove the scales. We do not fillet it, if it is small enough, then we cut it into round slices about 1/3rd to half inch thick. If it is a big fat fish, we'd make multiple pieces from one circle. This recipe will work for fillets as well. Tip, if the fish is very slimy wash it with salt and use half a lemon to get rid of the smell from your hands after you wash it.

Once you have the cut pieces, wash and dry them. They can be damp, no need to towel them. The rub salt and turmeric powder and marinate the pieces for 45 minutes or so.

Next, fry the pieces. I am from Assam, that's a state in Eastern India and there we use mustard oil more than anything else, but other edible oils will also do. If you want to eat the fish fried, deep fry it. If you want to use it in a curry, don't let it cook completely while frying. You will be able to tell from the color, light golden brown is good enough for a curry, for fried fish with a beer wait it starts looking burnt. The top layer will become crispy, inside will be soft. It is best to get the oil boiling, the fish will get cooked fast. Use a non-stick pan for ease of cooking. I prefer to dunk the fish in the oil, my wife uses just enough to cover up to half of a fish slice. You'll need to keep turning them over.

Be careful while frying, easy to end up with some hot oil drops on me even with a splatter screen. It will be worse if you have water drops on the fish.

This is making me hungry already.

If you want to make a very simple curry, you'll just need tomatoes, onions, potatoes, ginger and garlic. Quantity really depends on your choice. If I have two pounds of carp slices, I'd probably use 1/4th of an average size onion, 3 tomatoes and one large potato. Chop the onions into some very small pieces, chop the tomatoes into slightly bigger pieces and potatoes as per your taste. We usually keep them thin and long. Take about an inch of ginger and one garlic, I prefer to grate the ginger and crush and chop the garlic pods into very small pieces. Some coriander leaves come in very handy at the end. If you don't mind hot food, get some chilly powder or the best of all some hot peppers.

Usually Indian food has lots of spices as well, let's not worry too much about that. My mandatory spices are only turmeric powder and "garam masala". Garam masala is a mix of a variety of spices, jack of all trades for us and you will find these things in any Indian grocery store.

For this, we will take a few spoons full of oil and hear them in a sauce pan. Don't let it boil, put the onions in when it heats up and fry till golden brown. Add ginger, garlic and salt to taste. Careful with the salt, remember that the fist already has salt from the marination. Cook for 3 minutes on medium heat, then add the turmeric powder, chilly powder and garam masala and mix. Remember to keep stirring in between, otherwise the stuff will stick to the pan.

In two minutes, add the potatoes and a couple of minutes later add the tomatoes and hot peppers. You can cook covered now, it will not stick to the pan. Once the potatoes pieces are almost cooked, add some water. Once the water is boiling, add the fish pieces and cook till the fish and potatoes are completely cooked. Chop some coriander leaves into small pieces, and add them to the curry just before you turn the heat off. They add a very good flavor to the curry.

This goes very well with plain steamed rice :). Nothing fancy, a bit rustic but very popular back home.

If you want to Google up more Indian carp recipes, search for "rui fish recipe" or "rohu fish recipe".

Cheers
M

F
Fishpdx
montym said:
Mike and Jeanna, I don't think you want to read on beyond this :)

I am sorry took me a lot of time to get back on this one. You can use this recipe for other fresh water fish also, worked very well for a Hagg lake bass the other day.

For cleaning the fish, we gut, gill and remove the scales. We do not fillet it, if it is small enough, then we cut it into round slices about 1/3rd to half inch thick. If it is a big fat fish, we'd make multiple pieces from one circle. This recipe will work for fillets as well. Tip, if the fish is very slimy wash it with salt and use half a lemon to get rid of the smell from your hands after you wash it.

Once you have the cut pieces, wash and dry them. They can be damp, no need to towel them. The rub salt and turmeric powder and marinate the pieces for 45 minutes or so.

Next, fry the pieces. I am from Assam, that's a state in Eastern India and there we use mustard oil more than anything else, but other edible oils will also do. If you want to eat the fish fried, deep fry it. If you want to use it in a curry, don't let it cook completely while frying. You will be able to tell from the color, light golden brown is good enough for a curry, for fried fish with a beer wait it starts looking burnt. The top layer will become crispy, inside will be soft. It is best to get the oil boiling, the fish will get cooked fast. Use a non-stick pan for ease of cooking. I prefer to dunk the fish in the oil, my wife uses just enough to cover up to half of a fish slice. You'll need to keep turning them over.

Be careful while frying, easy to end up with some hot oil drops on me even with a splatter screen. It will be worse if you have water drops on the fish.

This is making me hungry already.

If you want to make a very simple curry, you'll just need tomatoes, onions, potatoes, ginger and garlic. Quantity really depends on your choice. If I have two pounds of carp slices, I'd probably use 1/4th of an average size onion, 3 tomatoes and one large potato. Chop the onions into some very small pieces, chop the tomatoes into slightly bigger pieces and potatoes as per your taste. We usually keep them thin and long. Take about an inch of ginger and one garlic, I prefer to grate the ginger and crush and chop the garlic pods into very small pieces. Some coriander leaves come in very handy at the end. If you don't mind hot food, get some chilly powder or the best of all some hot peppers.

Usually Indian food has lots of spices as well, let's not worry too much about that. My mandatory spices are only turmeric powder and "garam masala". Garam masala is a mix of a variety of spices, jack of all trades for us and you will find these things in any Indian grocery store.

For this, we will take a few spoons full of oil and hear them in a sauce pan. Don't let it boil, put the onions in when it heats up and fry till golden brown. Add ginger, garlic and salt to taste. Careful with the salt, remember that the fist already has salt from the marination. Cook for 3 minutes on medium heat, then add the turmeric powder, chilly powder and garam masala and mix. Remember to keep stirring in between, otherwise the stuff will stick to the pan.

In two minutes, add the potatoes and a couple of minutes later add the tomatoes and hot peppers. You can cook covered now, it will not stick to the pan. Once the potatoes pieces are almost cooked, add some water. Once the water is boiling, add the fish pieces and cook till the fish and potatoes are completely cooked. Chop some coriander leaves into small pieces, and add them to the curry just before you turn the heat off. They add a very good flavor to the curry.

This goes very well with plain steamed rice :). Nothing fancy, a bit rustic but very popular back home.

If you want to Google up more Indian carp recipes, search for "rui fish recipe" or "rohu fish recipe".

Cheers
M

Sounds tasty !! I might actually try that,if i catch more carp, because carp are not biteing as good anymore