New to winter steelhead

B
Bswe22
So, this is the first winter I will be chasing steelhead. I did catch my first summer steelhead this year. I am ready to get out there this weekend but not sure where to go. I was hoping for a little help in that area. I was going to go to Whittaker but after hearing the reports of big cats, low water and slow fishing, I thought I would go else where. I just need to know where "else where" is. Any suggestions where I might catch fish would be appreciated.

Thanks!!!!!
Bryan

troutdude
troutdude
You'll want to hit the coastal streams...lower, rather than higher up. With this drought, they are only trickling in.

Water is very low, so think small presentations / OFFerings too...akin to summer fishing techniques.

Good luck.

N
nwdunerider
My cousin and his buddy have been slaying them on the umpqua in the sayers rapids area all week.
on tuesday the went 10 for 23 with one in the 20 pound range.
they were in a drift boat side drifting eggs and jigs. but the bankies were on them also.
As usual most were natives

B
Berg03
Like was said before, coastal rivers. Check regulations before attempting any river as some gear is restricted. Google maps can be your friend :)

P
plumb2fish
I been fishing Whittaker and all along Stagecoach for years, always heard rumors about cats, but have never had problems...make noise as you walk through the brush and try to have someone with you. You will be fine...there are fish in the system....lots of natives this year...

hobster
hobster
troutdude said:
You'll want to hit the coastal streams...lower, rather than higher up. With this drought, they are only trickling in.

Water is very low, so think small presentations / OFFerings too...akin to summer fishing techniques.

Good luck.

This! If you live in the EUG I'd hit the Slaw but go low, probably have as good a chance as anywhere else close. Since you're new to it be patient, maybe even wait for some rain so you don't get frustrated, fishing should be great after the rivers rise a little. Hope you bag one!

B
bran_man
Yeah it's not just slaw, almost every river is low and slow right now... There are fish in all the coastal systems that have winter runs, just few and far between.next good rain will jump start things again. For now, will just have to try hard to find one. Winter fishing can be tough as it is already.... Good luck. I'm going to give it a shot myself for the first time thus season on Sunday.

J
JHawk
plumb2fish said:
....lots of natives this year...

I think the natives are catch and release, correct?

T
Throbbit _Shane
JHawk said:

Check the regulations for the river/stream you fish.

B
bran_man
JHawk said:

YES! Native/Wild steelhead are almost always RELEASE unless specially mentioned otherwise in the regs under each river. "If you don't know, let it go"