New to central Oregon

C
chillfish420
hey guys i just moved over to central oregon in the redmond area and im not sure where to start fishin around here. also i just bought myself a flyfishing setup and i need a few pointers. in my opinion any fish on the hook is better than a day at home, so im open for any kind of fishing. any help would be greatly appreciated!

K
Kais
lets just say central oregon has grade a trout fishing on the fly. good rivers include deschutes, fall river, metolious river, and so on.

B
BigShayne
The crooked river is a great place to start this time of year. I would go to the fly shop there in Redmond and ask what you need to get into some fish up there. Stick to the wild and scenic area and make sure that the water is below 500 cfs. If that river is blown then maybe try an adventure up the Fall River. It is way harder to catch fish but very beautiful. Oh, and redside fishing should be pickin up on the lower D, best fighting fish in Or. if you ask me.

P
ProfessorChromology
Just North of you where HWY 26 crosses the Deschutes on the East side of the Deschutes is a spot called Mecca Flats. You can hike for miles for steelhead and large trout. Watch out for rattle snakes as they are very common in this area. Hunt the shore lines for feeding fish and pack lunch...you can get lost in the beauty of the Deschutes. Within about an hour and a half you'll find more excellent fishing than any other place in the state. The Cascade Lakes, and the streams that flow in and out of them are full of great trout. Welcome to Oregon!! Have fun!

S
spmpdr
ProfessorChromology said:
Just North of you where HWY 26 crosses the Deschutes on the East side of the Deschutes is a spot called Mecca Flats. You can hike for miles for steelhead and large trout. Watch out for rattle snakes as they are very common in this area. Hunt the shore lines for feeding fish and pack lunch...you can get lost in the beauty of the Deschutes. Within about an hour and a half you'll find more excellent fishing than any other place in the state. The Cascade Lakes, and the streams that flow in and out of them are full of great trout. Welcome to Oregon!! Have fun!

Is this mecca flats you speak of near warm springs? OR am i thinking to far north?

Irishrover
Irishrover
Chillfish420... Welcome. Central Oregon has some great fishing and some really great fly fishing. Your best bet is to pick up a 2011 copy of the Oregon fishing regulations and check out the Central Oregon section. Some waters are open this time of year and some are closed. The Deschutes is a long strech of water with some open year round and some section close. Mecca Flats is closed right now. It will open for Trout and Steelhead April 23. You need to be north of the Warm Springs Reservation before you are allowed to fish the Deschutes up on that end. Lake Billy Chinook is open year round as well as some portions of the Deschutes south of LBC.

Once things settle down you might find the Crooked to be a good bet. If you have a boat Prineville Reservior can be a good spot.

S
steelhead_slayer
your right mecca flats is in the warm springs area

C
chillfish420
thanks irish, i was wantin to go fishin thursday, but since i am new im not sure where any of the fishing holes are or how to really get to the rivers. also any advice on what to use for tackle? i have both fly and spinning setups

S
steelhead_slayer
how far do you ant to travel?

C
chillfish420
well im looking for some places close to redmond, but a drive doesn't scare me either. unfortunately i dont have a boat so i am somewhat limited to how i can fish

Irishrover
Irishrover
chillfish420 said:
well im looking for some places close to redmond, but a drive doesn't scare me either. unfortunately i dont have a boat so i am somewhat limited to how i can fish

This is not my favorite place to fish but it will do in a pinch. Haystack Reservior. Go north on hwy 97 past Juniper Butte. Just after the Culver turn off north bound is Jerico Lane. (Big red hay barn on NE corner) turn right and head east on Jerico Lane. There will be signs to Haystack Reservior. You can head out to the fishing platform and toss spinners or bait. Just an idea.

S
steelhead_slayer
i'm a bank fisher too. the waters going to drop a lot in the summer, which will give you a lot more options. but for right now cline falls park is close and has some nice browns. you have to deal with the high water though. or tetherow bridge is close and also gives you some river access

C
chillfish420
well thank you guys, is there any special regulations or anything i should know about? i couldnt find haystack reservoir in the regulations book, and im not sure which river goes through cline falls and tetherow, im assuming the deschutes?

S
steelhead_slayer
oh yeah deschutes sorry. and it's fly and lure only tell april i think.

Irishrover
Irishrover
Haystack reservior won't be in the regulations. It is covered under regulations for lakes. They only list the lakes if there is a special regulation for them. It is open year round 5 trout per day. Nothing special about Haystack.

Last edited:
B
BigShayne
Crooked and fall and metolius are fly only rivers I believe. Although the last time I was at the Crooked my nymp snagged a rooster tail out of the river so it might be lure and fly - its all in the regs.