New reel

S
skunk
So I pulled a bonehead and lost my reel. Really a stupid feeling, its just a reel, but dang it, it had miles with me. Almost like a buddy, there at my right hand with first view of each bend in the river. Looking hard for a flash of chrome, where to place the first cast. Hearing it click as the drag worked overtime. Anyway, got a new one today. I really am starting to like Okuma more and more. Picked up an Okuma I 7/8a Integrity and for $50 this thing is really well built. Very durable, I dropped the sales demo on accident :shock: honest. The drag locks down incredible, but still has a ton of distance from light to hard so the setting can be what you desire. (some in this price range had no drag and no drag, even though they had a drag knob). Smooth action, although it doesn't hold quite as much line as I'd like. May get the 8/9 as its only $55. Got a new friend:dance:

N
ninja2010
good for you. and good luck on the new reel... hope you picked one with lots of fish karma.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Okuma makes good reels. I've used their Sierras, Integrity's, Helios, and lately their Vashon reel. Okuma makes some of the best value reels for the money - well built, durable reels. $50 is a great price for that reel, Fisherman's is selling them for $75, and they used to run closer to $100.

J
john montana
I had a bad experience with an okuma Sierra a few years ago. The drag would seize up frequently, and when it wasn't seizing up it would freespool and line would go everywhere. Heard good reports from others so maybe I just had a bad reel.

F
FlyBum
john montana said:
I had a bad experience with an okuma Sierra a few years ago. The drag would seize up frequently, and when it wasn't seizing up it would freespool and line would go everywhere. Heard good reports from others so maybe I just had a bad reel.

I second that!! Don't remember if it was that model though but it was quickly scrapped. My Ross Reels and Lamsons are great though and warranties are hard to beat. Had to send my Vexis in because the foot fell off when I banged it rock hopping on the Middle D, and they sent me a whole new reel with new 4 point attachment on foot. Haven't burned out any drags on any of these, yet. ;)