Nehalem River

G
GerbilManBoa
Any fishing updates?

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Are you actually going to fish there, or just asking again? You ask a lot of questions, in the sub forums all over the state - but you haven't exactly posted much about actually fishing - except for the odd thing about fishing Scappoose Creek. You ask a lot of general questions, about the fishing in a certain area - but you never say you're actually planning to fish there, you never ask any questions about what actually works there, what lures or baits are effective. If you're simply trying to stir up conversation - try asking a more substantiative question. Sometimes I wonder if you're actually a fisherman, or if you're just killing time by asking questions like this - in every subforum there is.

As for fishing the nehalem - it's been a little while since I was down that way. Mid march generally sees more native fish running in coastal streams than hatchery fish - we're approaching the end of the winter steelhead season - spring chinook is picking up, and before you know it, summer steelhead and trout season will be upon us. If you ARE going to fish - I'd recommend leaving the eggs and sand shrimp at home - since the chances of hooking a nate are higher at this time of year, and a gut hooked nate is pretty much a dead, wasted nate. Jig & bobber, spinners, and spoons are your friend.

G
GDBrown
I see that GerbilManBoa is up at all hours of the night so I'm wondering do you work swing shift and then stay up surfing the web like I used to do. Best way to fish is turn OFF the computer and get some sleep and start fishing at first light.

B
beaverfan
I think the waters been pretty high and will be for the next few days.

H
halibuthitman
the Nehalem drains 855 square miles, it has been muddy and difficult to fish basicly since the 2nd week of january, this river needs weeks to clear after a major rain event... I have not been able to hook up a fish yet this year. I would rate it as the most dangerous river to fish in the winter in oregon out of the rivers I have fished, very slippery and a lot of deep drop offs.. I would not recommend it for beginners or fishing alone. however there are steelhead up as far as vernonia now, and if it stops raining you just might get one-

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
HH, you think someone could possibly catch a fish by standing mid-span on the bridge there in Vernonia, fishing a spinner or plug behind a shallow running, hookless plug, or a small diver? :) I wonder if anyone's ever tried it...

N
Noahk
GungasUncle said:
Are you actually going to fish there, or just asking again? You ask a lot of questions, in the sub forums all over the state - but you haven't exactly posted much about actually fishing - except for the odd thing about fishing Scappoose Creek. You ask a lot of general questions, about the fishing in a certain area - but you never say you're actually planning to fish there, you never ask any questions about what actually works there, what lures or baits are effective. If you're simply trying to stir up conversation - try asking a more substantiative question. Sometimes I wonder if you're actually a fisherman, or if you're just killing time by asking questions like this - in every subforum there is.

As for fishing the nehalem - it's been a little while since I was down that way. Mid march generally sees more native fish running in coastal streams than hatchery fish - we're approaching the end of the winter steelhead season - spring chinook is picking up, and before you know it, summer steelhead and trout season will be upon us. If you ARE going to fish - I'd recommend leaving the eggs and sand shrimp at home - since the chances of hooking a nate are higher at this time of year, and a gut hooked nate is pretty much a dead, wasted nate. Jig & bobber, spinners, and spoons are your friend.
Seriously. Gerbilman, have you actually done any fishing in Oregon before? I mean are you just looking for someone to take you fishing? Or are you selling this info to the Germans?

If you actually want to go fishing I can show you a couple of places at Hagg. PM me if interested.

B
Born2Fish55
GungasUncle said:
HH, you think someone could possibly catch a fish by standing mid-span on the bridge there in Vernonia, fishing a spinner or plug behind a shallow running, hookless plug, or a small diver? :) I wonder if anyone's ever tried it...

If you are talking about the 'Green' bridge at the East end of town... Yes... many times... and you can't get the fish up without them getting off... unless you use bait and they shallow it! There are a lot of places to access the river all along the highway, the old railroad right of way, and the various parks in town. Try 'brush busting' behind the OA millpond (Lake Vernonia)... a lot of really good plunking water and some big trout that will take spinners with ease.

We used to try it from time to time back when I was a kid in the late 60's and early 70's! Great thing about growing up there is I know ALL of the prime holes (except the ones that relocated after the floods)

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
B2Fish - my post was a bit in jest - but yeah, the river near Vernonia is home to lots of good fishing. I've trouted a lot in/near Vernonia during the summer in years past, and done pretty well. I've never fished for steelies up there, but I know they're there. I wouldn't really try to fish off the bridge ;) Not without someone down below, with a landing net anyway!

I hear the pizza joint went out of business? :( They made some darn good pie...

M
metalfisher76
So I`m at the Cedar Side shootin a game and downin cold ones... buddy goes to get the next round while I`m rackin `em.... it`s takin a bit.... ??... i start to walk over and here "yernot from`round here,,,are ya?"....i stop.... nothin... "i could tell,,,only been seein ya`z at lunch there at the store"....nothin.... nothin....???....
Anyone seen a short redneck with...just kiddin, just kiddin... cool lil town. Got some private property I can fish a crick on over yonder. Nice cutties and rumor had it some steel/coho made it up `er too. We was tossin lil chart./red spinners with barbs pinched and landed\released some cutts, I believe they were.

B
Born2Fish55
GungasUncle said:
B2Fish - my post was a bit in jest - but yeah, the river near Vernonia is home to lots of good fishing. I've trouted a lot in/near Vernonia during the summer in years past, and done pretty well. I've never fished for steelies up there, but I know they're there. I wouldn't really try to fish off the bridge ;) Not without someone down below, with a landing net anyway!

I hear the pizza joint went out of business? :( They made some darn good pie...

I was kind of hoping you weren't going to try fishing there, but several of us did... even during floods a few times:lol:
For Steelhead, we used to run a drift boat from Anderson Park down to Big Eddie County Park. Makes for a full day of fishing, a few nice fish, and a whole lot of fun. If you do drift it, keep you eye out for barb wire run 'across' the river... a few property owners believe they own the 'whole' river and sometimes leave a few surprises for the unsuspecting angler. The Nehalem up there is home to some really nice Searun Cuts, that are more than willing to take anything you offer them, if you offer it right!

I think I have floated, waded or swam all of the Nehalem from Timber down to Birkenfeld. We used to take our fishing rods and float the river on old logging truck innertubes. My Mom sewed a canvas bottom that tied around the tube and made a great little carry all. Tied two tubes together with a piece of rope and laid down in the other and swam, pulling our little carry all behind us. No life jackets, cellphones (yeah, right!) or tents. We would take a blanket, roll it up and place it in a plastic bag, take a couple of 'kid' meals worth of food. We'd take off on Friday and my Dad would pick us up at the General Store in Mist or Birkenfeld on Sunday. No big deal if it was early or late, we would pull our dime out of our shoe and phone home from the phone booth at the power pole by the school. Thanks for saying something about fishing from the bridge.... brought back some great memories!!!:clap::clap::clap:

"Those were the days!" :D

Reactions: metalfisher76
GungasUncle
GungasUncle
The Nehalem has been a river I've wanted to float for years - it's on the short list for when I finally buy or build a drifter. It's a really pretty, neat river. All those nice deep looking runs as it winds along near the highway get to me every time I drive up that way. Always stop and wonder if there isn't a few big'uns in those holes.

As a bit of a side note - anyone ever fish Wolf Creek (the Nehalem trib) - if so, care to share your experience either on the board or via PM?

B
Big3d
I drove up 103 and couldn't find a single place that wasn't private property to bank fish Nehalem until vernonia, any ideas?

B
Born2Fish55
There is actually quite a few access points all along the river... both public and private... yes, there are a lot of 'No Trespass' signs along the river, but many of the owners will still allow access if you ask and follow their request. I have access to large areas but just making the agreement with the owners on a few key points:
1 - Don't break down their fences
2 - Leave the area cleaner than when you got there
3 - Be willing to do a little free labor for the property owner
4 - Be above board with information you give the owner ( I give them my name, phone #, vehicle plate #)
5 - Once you do have permissions, don't abuse the privilege by abusing it (if they give you permission, it's for you, not fifty of your closest friends)
6 - Be polite and do not get upset if they say, "No"... simply say, "thank you for your time"... some will at that point change their mind and give you a 'limited' permission just to see what you are about.