Nehalem from Spruce Run to Nehalem Falls.

B
beaverfan
So I wanted to spend my 4th of July weekend fishing some coastal streams. Was going to try to stay at Gnat Creek but my girlfriend talked me into going to the Nehalem. Will be focusing much of my efforts on the Nehalem itself. Any tips for that stretch. I will probably head down the the Kilchis and Wilson at some point as well as possibly the Trask. Any other streams in the area I gotta check out? How far downstream from the falls is the hatchery and is it even worth heading down there?

G
GoneFishin2134
I fish the upper Nehalem. Always had good luck, caught lots of Cutts. If your going to the Nehalem. I suggest using black or white Bangtails/Roostertails with worm on the end. Good luck! p.s. they have quite a few Jack salmon in there as well.

F
frodog
The bridge is gone between spuce run and nehalem falls camp ground the one that crosses the salmon berry but the fishing is good for cutts.

B
beaverfan
two questions
1. how far from spruce run is the down bridge
2. Am I better off staying north by spruce run or go down by falls?

H
halibuthitman
you made a good choice changing..... I fished gnat today, and nothing but little cutts and some crackheads eyeballing my jeep.

C
catphish
I fished Nehalem last weekend up that dirt road where bridge is out. Took the 3 lure challenge and went up to bricge and worked all over. caught more cutty and other fry than i can count. biggest was 8". Not that great a haul, 0, but I was after fun and relaxation with my friends more than "Catfish Hunter". Only hooked into 2 that seemed worth it, both got off. We used blue fox vibrax: one blue body/red blade, one all brass/gold finish, one gold bang/rooster tail. All 3 lures we used hit like mad.

3 lure challenge is friendly bet/game my friend and I have. Pick 3 lure from tackle, hook to bill of hat/jacket. Fish. Best fish wins. Winner trades winning lure with loser to better his chances next time, loser buys beers. Basically, Joe and I seem to keep trading my blue/red vibrax, for his gold/brass rooster. Blue/red vibrax been replaced 4-5 times more than his rooster tho. hehe

Last edited:
H
Hooked on fishin'
catphish said:
I fished Nehalem last weekend up that dirt road where bridge is out. Took the 3 lure challenge and went up to bricge and worked all over. caught more cutty and other fry than i can count. biggest was 8". Not that great a haul, 0, but I was after fun and relaxation with my friends more than "Catfish Hunter". Only hooked into 2 that seemed worth it, both got off. We used blue fox vibrax: one blue body/red blade, one all brass/gold finish, one gold bang/rooster tail. All 3 lures we used hit like mad.

3 lure challenge is friendly bet/game my friend and I have. Pick 3 lure from tackle, hook to bill of hat/jacket. Fish. Best fish wins. Winner trades winning lure with loser to better his chances next time, loser buys beers. Basically, Joe and I seem to keep trading my blue/red vibrax, for his gold/brass rooster. Blue/red vibrax been replaced 4-5 times more than his rooster tho. hehe

What size vibrax you using?

C
catphish
number 2's. We always carry a #4 in the 3 lure challenge, just in case. But no big fish that day.

H
halibuthitman
beaverfan said:
So I wanted to spend my 4th of July weekend fishing some coastal streams. Was going to try to stay at Gnat Creek but my girlfriend talked me into going to the Nehalem. Will be focusing much of my efforts on the Nehalem itself. Any tips for that stretch. I will probably head down the the Kilchis and Wilson at some point as well as possibly the Trask. Any other streams in the area I gotta check out? How far downstream from the falls is the hatchery and is it even worth heading down there?

So, how did it go? wered ya end up?

B
beaverfan
Well first we went to the Spruce Run area to find a camping spot, everything was packed so we did the detour and drove to the other side. Found an amazing camping spot on the sand. Started setting up camp and realized that my girlfriend forget to bring her tent poles so we slept under the stars. There are some really nice Cutthroat in there. Caught a few keepers all released but one 14inch fatty that was dinner on the 4th. Lots and lots of Suckers one morning I accidently snagged two of them in the tail while fishing a spinner. I really want to head back when I get a pontoon. Also I brought the butt to one rod and the top half to another so I ended up just throwing my spinning reel on my fly pole. Anyone else ever tried this. I was surprised at the results. I could cast a spinner about half again as far as with my 7.5 spinning rod. Well I'm off to C&R some Sturgeon while I wait for my picks to upload.

B
beaverfan
Alright here are some pics.
Picture015.jpg
Picture016.jpg
Picture029.jpg
Picture025-1.jpg

No idea why I threw the last one in there just thought it was kinda funny.

Reactions: chris61182