Necanicum report

F
fishtales
Well fished the Necanicum River for a few hours Friday evening after work. No luck. The water has a bit higher than normal.

I was using spinner mostly and switched to a hook and worm briefly.

I saw one dark salmon surface but that was it.

N
n8r1
I went after work Friday too. You and I were fishing at pretty much the same time. What part of the river were you fishing?

F
fishtales
I checked in at the big spruce, (but I was moving around a bunch). I was really hoping to get into some trout or even a salmon. I think my line was 8lb and the color was that light baby blue. I'm kinda thinking maybe it was my line that caused me to get skunked.

D
DB Crouper
fishtales said:
I checked in at the big spruce, (but I was moving around a bunch). I was really hoping to get into some trout or even a salmon. I think my line was 8lb and the color was that light baby blue. I'm kinda thinking maybe it was my line that caused me to get skunked.

Having grown up in Seaside, I spent many blissful days at Klootchie Creek Park, fishing, floating down the Necanicum riffles in innertubes, and camping with buddies from the age of 8 to 18. The world's largest Spruce tree grew there, and we played around it long before it was identified as the largest Spruce tree. It blew down(snapped off) about 6 years ago in a big storm.
Imagine my surprise, about 4 years ago, when I came upon what looked like a large headstone placed in a landscaped island at the turnaround drive, near where the huge Spruce once stood. All my life I thought it was KLOOTCHIE CREEK! Apparently the descendents of Mr. Cloutrie don't agree!

• H%20Cloutrie%20Creek%2001[1].jpg
D
Drew9870
It is good to know what is on your spool, sounds like Stren or Trilene regular, which are absolute garbage when it comes to quality, and yes, very visible in the water, although I have never noticed Salmon ever being line shy, I'll run 30lb mono in crystal clear water while plunking bait.

Good line to consider would be P-Line Green or Red label in 8-10lb, also a Copolymer like Gamma (haven't found it anywhere else but online) in 10-12lb since Copolymer has a smaller diameter to lb rating along with being very clear in the water. You could also use Maxima Ultragreen, but I'd say P-Line will outlast it in the long run while performing a knot test, the copolymer would be best drifting for Trout and Steel.