Narrowed it down between two koke poles

C
Charlie_merrifi
Found a okuma kokanee 2-8 pound and a okuma 4-10 kokanee pole. Both seem very close I really don't see the difference. I want to be able to troll flashers/dodgers maybe a diver. which one should I go with
 
T
Throbbit _Shane
I dont know which one to go with but i suggest to always bring a extra rod or 2 :D

You never know when u might step on one or close the car door on one :)

Last year i had both of those things happen to me on the same day... Luckily i was fishing with some friends who also bring extras :)
 
troutdude
troutdude
Throbbit _Shane said:
I dont know which one to go with but i suggest to always bring a extra rod or 2 :D

You never know when u might step on one or close the car door on one :)

Last year i had both of those things happen to me on the same day... Luckily i was fishing with some friends who also bring extras :)

I second those words of wisdom. I was once fishing the North Santiam for steelies. Somehow my rod tip broke. Then, a steelie literally swam right between my legs (I swear it actually happened)!

Ever since then, I have not only 2 rods, but also 2 reels for each outing.

P.S. You never know when a reel with go belly up on you.

P.P.S. I'd suspect that either rod will work for Kokes.
 
Last edited:
S
SNDSLGR
I picked up a sweet Lamiglass cg70dr "Kokanee Downrigger" for $39 bucks at Bi-Mart yesturday. They are on sale but it ends today I think.

Keep in mind, if you plan on using a diver I think most downrigger rods will be too soft for your needs. I have always had good luck with the Okuma stuff and thing its usually the best bang for the buck out there.

The heavier of the two would be best if you are using divers I think.
 
C
capblack
i wouldnt use either of those with a diver, theres just too much drag. i bought the celilo kokanee pro from bimart, and i like it but if i was using a diver and a ford fender, id go with a stiffer rod. those rods you talked about will bend all the way to the water if you try to real in a diver. Brian
 
C
Charlie_merrifi
Crap I'm confused. I wouldn't use fenders and divers together what about dodgers and small flashers with bananna weights or just divers
 
C
Charlie_merrifi
Forget the diver just some weights and either dodger or flashers. I'll use my lead core setup to go way deep
 
C
capblack
if your using a 1 or 2 oz weight with a dodger or small flasher, youd be fine with either of the poles, maybe lean towards the heavy one. you wont be sorry, those are nice rods. good luck, Brian
Charlie_merrifi said:
Forget the diver just some weights and either dodger or flashers. I'll use my lead core setup to go way deep
 
C
Charlie_merrifi
Which is a better length 7 or 7'6
 
C
capblack
i use 7 ft rods, but there probably wont be much difference, unless your fishing from the front or middle of the boat, the little more length will help you to keep the line from under the boat, Brian
Charlie_merrifi said:
Which is a better length 7 or 7'6
 
B
Bullitt
SNDSLGR said:
I picked up a sweet Lamiglass cg70dr "Kokanee Downrigger" for $39 bucks at Bi-Mart yesturday. They are on sale but it ends today I think.

Keep in mind, if you plan on using a diver I think most downrigger rods will be too soft for your needs. I have always had good luck with the Okuma stuff and thing its usually the best bang for the buck out there.

The heavier of the two would be best if you are using divers I think.

I picked up a couple of the same Lamiglas rods for downriggin but didn't get that price. Had to order one since bi-mart only had one on the shelf. :rolleyes: I like the feel of the Diawa "spinmatic" and might get a couple of those for jiggin.... I have no clue about kokes but will spend a bunch of time this summer figuring it out.
 

Similar threads

jamisonace
Replies
3
Views
1K
4labs
4labs
bass
Replies
3
Views
482
bass
bass
plumbertom
Replies
3
Views
667
Gulfstream
G
F
Replies
2
Views
950
O. mykiss
O. mykiss
The Guides Forecast
2 3
Replies
52
Views
13K
The Guides Forecast
The Guides Forecast
Top Bottom