My first Wilson River steelie

T
TimberTodd
I started casting shortly after 7 this morning. Fished the first hole for 3 hours with no luck. Moved up river to my second spot and fished it for about an hour and a half. I had 1 hit on a spinner but missed him. Moved on up further to the last hole I planned on fishing. I could tell by the tire tracks that someone had been there earlier. 2nd cast with a jig and bobber down. As I am fighting the fish I realized I left the camera in the truck:(. It was a hatchery male around 6lbs. He was starting to turn dark so I thanked him for the excitement and sent him on his way. I would also like to take a moment and give 2 shoutouts. First is to the person who respooled their reel at the 2nd hole I fished. No problem I picked up the 100+ yards of mono you left all over the bank. The 2nd one goes to the GOOB who felt he needed to releave themself in the middle of the trail at the 1st hole. Good grief :mad:. All in all there wasn't a lot of traffic on the river. It is low and clear. This shot of rain should help.

E
eugene1
Sounds like you earned that buck! Not sure why people need to relieve themselves in the most public places while in the outdoors? But I've seen it too.

O
OnTheDrop
way to go man... I fished that river many times before hooking my first steel on it... Like someone on here said once, Shes so pretty she'll keep you coming back reguardless of wether you get into them or not.. and man what a beautiful river. More holes than you could ask for! Jigs fish realllll well in there when its low so good job doing what you were suppose to do. Keep it up. Sorry to hear about the "Trash". I feel it may becoming a problem more than ive seen in recent years. Wilson River will always be one of if not my favorite river for steel&salmon. Double digit days aren't far away... Tight lines !

L
Lbax1027
Where are these holes?? I have been fishing the Siletz, this first year of Oregon and first attempt at steelies. I have heard of this infamous Wilson, but I'd like a lil direction on where to start my "1000 casts." I'm working nights in Newport, so day trips are not out of the question.

J
jabs67
Great story!!! I need to get down to the wilson soon. I'v never fished it.

G
Gaius
Lbax1027 said:
Where are these holes?? I have been fishing the Siletz, this first year of Oregon and first attempt at steelies. I have heard of this infamous Wilson, but I'd like a lil direction on where to start my "1000 casts." I'm working nights in Newport, so day trips are not out of the question.

lbax, check out the interactive google map thread at the top of this forum. Most of the holes are around the Forestry center and rest area on your side of the hill.

T
TimberTodd
Salmonkiller you are so right. The Wilson is a beautiful river. Gaius is correct about the interactive map. The bank access on the Wilson is great. Basically where ever you can safely pull off you will find a trail to the river. You just need to be prepared to do a little climbing for some of the holes. Good nonslip soles are very beneficial.

O
OnTheDrop
Mile marker 6 up to Mile marker 30. 100+ holes.

L
Lbax1027
I didn't see the link. Maybe I'm not looking in the right spot.

S
Sokkerboi
Today i starrted my 1000 Casts on the wilson, But nothing to show for it. We went down all of wilson, stopping and casting along most of the holes but no success. It'll have to be some other time. :think:

Last edited:
S
subbiefun
any onehaving anyluck bank fishing this river?

C
cddunn
subbiefun said:
any onehaving anyluck bank fishing this river?

How do you define any luck?

S
subbiefun
having a fish on or fishon then fish off pretty much not getting skunked

C
cddunn
subbiefun said:
having a fish on or fishon then fish off pretty much not getting skunked
Heck yeah, just not every time out (or every other either). I've still a ways to go on the steelhead catching learning curve. :)

T
TimberTodd
I have fished the Wilson a half dozen times so far and this was my first steelhead on this river. I feel I did real well. It can take some folks several seasons of angling a new river before hooking up with a fish. Keep after them and you will get into one.

A
Anyfishisfine
Very cool. I did my first Wilson scouting trip this weekend. I need to break my Sandy River/Oxbow Park rut and try new water. I keep going back because I keep catching fish, but I need a change.

L
Lbax1027
Anyfishisfine said:
Very cool. I did my first Wilson scouting trip this weekend. I need to break my Sandy River/Oxbow Park rut and try new water. I keep going back because I keep catching fish, but I need a change.

What works for the sandy??

R
Roolinghills
Patience.. that seems to be the best thing for the Sandy. I've seen 100+ people come through with a bobber & egg/jig with no results. Then one guy with nothing but a small bobber and fake egg rolls in with 3 huge chromers, said he landed 3 other natives. I've been able to take in a native, lost a chromer and my old man lost something monstrous last weekend. You can go with the bobber/jig setup, but I bottom fish with spin & glo's. Consistency keeps my setup away from the bobbers. I've never tied one on that way, and I'd rather save my energy from shlepping along the bank all day. I'll go to the Wilson for that, where that setup is a must.

Also, if you've got a pontoon for the Sandy, you'll be in great shape. Something small but effective. Bigger boats can't hit the corners the same.

I'll be there this weekend, or possibly Sauvie's. I'm interested to see what the luck would be out there. Too much "early springer" talk for me to sit and wait for more Sandy natives. I'm ready to b-b-q!

Reactions: Sokkerboi
S
Sokkerboi
Well thanks for the advice Rooling, we'll see what happends. I am getting antsy about hooking a fish.