My first Coho!

J
Johnny Southpaw
Wasn't planning on fishing this weekend do to a huge "to do" list and less than ideal river conditions; got a call from my buddy about 11:00, saying, "you're coming to the river with me" to which I responded "okay." A little over an hour later we're on the beautiful Siletz river, targeting the elusive summer steel and perhaps some Coho. Fished a few holes, water MOVING fast, nada. Hiked back to the truck, drove downstream to some slower water got out and started fishin! Came across some nice water, had my friend give me some water reading pointers, and commenced tossing my hardware. Third cast and 'FISH ON!". My first Coho ever. The fish was in great shape. It fought in the characteristic "crazy-coho" style, doing cartwheels, death rolls and all the tactics those schizo. fish employ. Got it to the bank, took a few quick pics and sent him back to the drink. What a beautiful fish, and what a rush. The four-month old skunk that had been on my back is gone! Half hour later my buddy says "fish on!" and he's got a hell of a coho on the other end. Got some great video footage of that battle. Great day on the river-an unexpected one at that (seems to work that way quite often). Okay, now time to see if I can get the pics/video up...

[YOUTUBE]vhSvx1OBTOQ[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]_zQ6py9MLQY[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]eI7KoDBCUtE[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited by a moderator:
B
Bohemian
Great post! Loved the pics and video! Congratulations on a great day of fishing!
:clap::clap::clap:

J
JeeperGal
Congrats.. Beautiful fish! :)

F
Fishtopher
'at's a nice size buck man! Congratulations!:clap:

A
autofisher
Nice fish man. Congrats on the skunk killin. I need to get back out on the water soon.... I'm gonna go nuts if I don't.

Admin
Admin
Way to go! :yay:

J
Johnny Southpaw
Thanks everybody:D That fish couldn't have come at a more fitting time, as I'm recently divorced and in need of all the spiritual uplifting and smiles I can attain/generate. I'll be able to ride on this one for a while:D:D

C
Chrome_Chaser
Congratulations! Looks like you had a lot of fun.

B
bigdog
Nice work man good job.

W
wormosa
Johnny Southpaw said:
Thanks everybody:D That fish couldn't have come at a more fitting time, as I'm recently divorced and in need of all the spiritual uplifting and smiles I can attain/generate. I'll be able to ride on this one for a while:D:D
great pics.... how many miles were you up from the bridge on 101?

J
Johnny Southpaw
wormosa said:
great pics.... how many miles were you up from the bridge on 101?

We were actually in the lower gorge area, around Moonshine park, so quite a ways from the 101 bridge. We were hoping to hook into some later summer steel, but knew there would be some crazy coho around also.

F
FishTastic
awesome video footage:clap: I need to get in the habbit of video recording:think:

N
nowimdone
congrats brotha

congrats brotha

nice buck, nice fight! You might invest in a landing glove for those slippery bank fish.