My first Coho season, question about fish counts

A
Anyfishisfine
Looking at the fish counts, they are moving upstream now, but not in great numbers yet.

What numbers should I be looking at before targeting them on the Clack and Sandy? At the rate the numbers are growing at Bonneville, it looks like in the next week or two?

B
beaverfan
I've been hearing that there stacking at the mouth of the Clack right now. I'm pretty sure there just waiting for rain whenever that may be. I'm sure some of the guys will have a better answer for ya when they get back from the gill net ban meeting.

A
Anyfishisfine
beaverfan said:
I've been hearing that there stacking at the mouth of the Clack right now. I'm pretty sure there just waiting for rain whenever that may be. I'm sure some of the guys will have a better answer for ya when they get back from the gill net ban meeting.

I wonder if Clackamette is hot then. Probably shoulder to shoulder if it is.

F
FishKiller23
Anyfishisfine said:
I wonder if Clackamette is hot then. Probably shoulder to shoulder if it is.

If there is fish there I bet most people fishing the mouth of the clack are snaggers. From what I been told its pretty hard to get the coho to bite there with the low water and it being clear.

kirkster
kirkster
I drove through clackamette park today and didn't see any body fishing. But they could have been fishing in the willy down towards meldrum I didn't drive around there to check it out.

kirkster
kirkster
Ive tried fishing the coho at the mouth and like you said coho most of the time dont bite when there stacked up, mostly when there on the move. Out of all the times Ive tried there the only thing I ever got to work when its low and clear was a blackend brass spinner. Not a black one but a blackend one I use them for steelhead in low clear water and there deadly.

T
THE JEFF
FishKiller23 said:
If there is fish there I bet most people fishing the mouth of the clack are snaggers. From what I been told its pretty hard to get the coho to bite there with the low water and it being clear.

Why is it there can't be a coho thread any any web site with somebody throwing out the snagger stuff. That area gets VERY crowded, and there are some kinda schetchy people that dont fish much and probly pay much attention to the rules, if they can even read them. In my early years of salmon fishing I went there even got my first coho there. I have fished many "snagger" holes in my years of salmon and steelhead fishing and I still fish some. That said I have NEVER seen a foul hooked fish kept at Herman,Cedar creek,Big creek,Skokomish,and the public areas of Eagle creek.The only time I ever saw blatent snagging was at a secluded private hole on eagle creek where the "Wealthy" property owner had a party and about 15 people snagged a lot of fish. For some reason coho season brings out some real wierdos but that doesn't mean they are keeping snagged fish. Just because a spot is crowded with less than desireable people fishing with snoopy poles doesn't make it a "Snagger" hole. I love coho fishing. I realy like this site. I just wish we could have coho thread without snagger stuff. Now the "Bowling alley drift" on the Clack will be shoulder to shoulder but at high tide in the morning fish will push upstream and in my experiance can be very agressive and bite like mad. I dont fish there any more but I did and had fun.

A
Anyfishisfine
THE JEFF said:
Why is it there can't be a coho thread any any web site with somebody throwing out the snagger stuff. That area gets VERY crowded, and there are some kinda schetchy people that dont fish much and probly pay much attention to the rules, if they can even read them. In my early years of salmon fishing I went there even got my first coho there. I have fished many "snagger" holes in my years of salmon and steelhead fishing and I still fish some. That said I have NEVER seen a foul hooked fish kept at Herman,Cedar creek,Big creek,Skokomish,and the public areas of Eagle creek.The only time I ever saw blatent snagging was at a secluded private hole on eagle creek where the "Wealthy" property owner had a party and about 15 people snagged a lot of fish. For some reason coho season brings out some real wierdos but that doesn't mean they are keeping snagged fish. Just because a spot is crowded with less than desireable people fishing with snoopy poles doesn't make it a "Snagger" hole. I love coho fishing. I realy like this site. I just wish we could have coho thread without snagger stuff. Now the "Bowling alley drift" on the Clack will be shoulder to shoulder but at high tide in the morning fish will push upstream and in my experiance can be very agressive and bite like mad. I dont fish there any more but I did and had fun.

I read it as even though there are fish, and people fishing, unless I'm snagging I might as well wait.

Exactly the info I was looking for.

T
THE JEFF
Anyfishisfine said:
I read it as even though there are fish, and people fishing, unless I'm snagging I might as well wait.

Exactly the info I was looking for.

Just about any publicly acceses bank fishing hole on the Clack or the Sandy has been or will be branded a snagger hole. I say go fishing where you want carry the poacher hot line # in your phone report illigal activity, catch fish have fun,and make all kinds of new friends. The coho season should be great this year. In about in about 3 or 4 weeks I will be on the Sandy(I dont like the Clack system much for silvers) a lot ,fishing with old friends and new ones. Sept. and Oct. are great months.Go fish have fun stock up on coho eggs,and meat for the smoker . I love fall in the N.W.

L
luv2fish
Jeff....well said...i know everytime there's a discussion about any fishing hole( coho especially) first thing is people start raising fingers about snagging and blah blah.....well...this world has all kind of people and everybody do what he/she thinks right....now i'm not promoting the idea of snagging but like you said.....carry a poacher hotline number with you....easy...

now think about it ...a newbie starts fishing...where will he go first...easy access and where he/she sees people fishing...( 90% fishing begins with other people )...so what nobody should fish at bowling alley cuz people snag fish...or at Eagle creek cuz snaggers are there...you know i've fished at EC and bowling alley and to be honest ..only one time at EC...otherwise...people whom i have fished at bowling alley or EC...were all like every other fisherman...

I will request people to promote the idea of anti snagging..and anti poaching but please lets not end up deciding which place is snagger hole and which isn't...

If you want to make a change...it won't happen by just typing your snagger view here...go out and make a difference......otherwise..let people fish and let not them get worried about ..o my god i shouldn't fish there cuz its s nagger hole...
Inmmy view even if you kow that some place is snagger hole ...honest fisherman should go to those places more often so that the so called snaggers and poachers stop going there...

how many of you are ready ???????

think!!!

F
FishKiller23
IF u want to fish there fish there. I am not talking about eagle creek or any where else I am talking about the mouth of the clack. Snaggers can be anywhere and just because I said there is mostly snaggers there doesn't mean you can't fish legit there.. I went there last year and saw about 50 people in a line throwing out giant corkies with like 8 ft leader and just rippin every 2 seconds I guess thats not snaggin. I also saw people with steelies on just dragin the bottom.

My point is those fish are being harassed a lot and probably wont bite.. So maybe a diffrent spot would be better.

I do know back in the late 90s my dad would go and kill them on bobber and eggs. but after the big flood it changed that.

C
Cracker
Not much action at Dahl beach yet. No fish rolling yesterday, or throughout the week.
One of the regulars reported one jack was caught yesterday. If you fish the Dahl beach side of the Clack at the mouth it is pretty mellow. There are a group of retirees that are there almost every day. The bowling alley hole can be a different story at times.

L
luv2fish
I didn't said it to anyone in particular...i just agreed with what Jeff said and I think he made a good point....people who name spots like these as snag holes or snggerville are doing much damage.....cuz ethical angler or an "ethical angler in making"...means who's a newbie and want to start fishing...they get kinda skeptical going to thos places...and yes it helps those snaggers and poachers...cuz more "nobody around time" and hence easy poaching....
I once again repeat my views are not pointed at anybody in particular but should be taken as something which we all together can work...

Remember its us anglers who have to watch for our fish....and if we don't come forward, nobody else will.