My first brown was a dandy!

T
Throbbit _Shane
Went on a camping trip on Wednesday and got back earlier today. Spent Wednesday through Sunday at Wickiup, Sunday night at East Lake, and Monday at Hills Creek Reservoir. Fishing wasn't spectacular but the weather and two fish made up for the lack of catching. I got to Wickiup Wednesday afternoon and put together my camp site and pontoon boat, by the time I had all the boat and tent stuff put together I had drank a few beers and the wind let up so it was time to get out there! I trolled around until my stomach told me it was times for brats and more beer! While trolling back to my camping spot my Ultra Lite rod goes down and stays down, if i hadn't known I was in some pretty deep water I would of thought it was snagged up! After picking my rod up out of the holder and a few turns of the reel the fish comes flying out of the water completely and I then knew I had a sweet trout on! After a couple more jumps and runs when it got near the boat I was finally able to net it! 22" inch and around 3lbs of great meat! I ended up up having a fillet for dinner instead of the brats, and the next night I ate the other fillet, bacon wrapped with onions, garlic and lemon juice.

I thought fishing would be great considering the first days fish, but that wasn't so. didn't catch any fish at wickiup Thursday - Saturday. Left for Lava Lake on Sunday, but after taking the wrong road I ended up in Sun River. After buying more ice, beer and a corn dog I decided to head to East and Paulina Lakes instead. East was a very sweet lake except for the fact I couldn't find any free camping. Ended up staying at Cinder Campground, very nice campground. Fishing at East was a lot better then at Wickiup, I was getting a lot more bites. Once the wind picked up Sunday evening I went back to camp and picked up my anchor and headed back out and sat on anchor and fished a whole worm on the bottom with no weight. About 45min later I started to get bit and picked up a real nice feisty 15" Rainbow. The next morning the fish were eating off the surface like crazy! But they weren't real interested in my offerings only got a couple bites Monday morning before leaving the lake. Got to see a poodle with a life jacket on out there though, pretty funny seeing a mid sized poodle on a pontoon boat! Monday I camped out in the back of Hill Creek Res. near the back where the creek comes in, was really nice scenery and very peaceful but no fish for me at this lake. Great weather everyday made for some sweet camping and the mosquitoes weren't bad at either lakes! :D

100_0327.jpg100_0335.jpg100_0359.jpg100_0390.jpg100_0399.jpg 100_0400.jpg100_0407.jpg100_0419.jpg

B
bran_man
Nice ones!

T
Toyracer38
Sounds like a fun fishing getaway. That Brown is gorgeous!

L
lilsalmon
Nice fish, Shane!!! Very nice pics. Sounds like a great few days out...

hobster
hobster
Beautiful fish!

R
rippin fish lips
Sounds like an awesome time out in the great NW. Nice fish, pics, and report. I have yet to catch a brown.

C_Run
C_Run
Sounds like summertime fun at its best. Maybe go up a grade on the wine, though.

S
SeanC
Very nice fish. Sounds like a good time.

C
Coastaldweller
Nothing like a jug of Carlo! I also enjoy a nice BOX as well. It serves for many useful applications. Once the bladder is empty you can use it as a flotation device, pillow or a beach ball:)

troutdude
troutdude
Today's equation...

2 > 0 (in other words, you did NOT get skunked!)

NICE brown dude. And you ate well too!

O
OnTheFly
Beer then fish then more beer then eat fish. Sounds like a typical day of my own!

T
Throbbit _Shane
bran_man said:
Nice ones!
Thanks dude!
Toyracer38 said:
Sounds like a fun fishing getaway. That Brown is gorgeous!
Yeah that was a great brown, ate really good too!
lilsalmon said:
Nice fish, Shane!!! Very nice pics. Sounds like a great few days out...
Thanks Rose! I had a great time.
rippin fish lips said:
Sounds like an awesome time out in the great NW. Nice fish, pics, and report. I have yet to catch a brown.
Thanks rfl! They're a sweet trout! Now I want to catch some bigger ones! I did use rapalas too but they werent having none.
C_Run said:
Sounds like summertime fun at its best. Maybe go up a grade on the wine, though.
I agree it was the summer weather I was looking forward not too long ago! You would laugh at the beer I was drinking then! I go on the cheap side but still stuff I like when camping for beer I had Rolling Rock, Millwaukees Best Ice, Hams, and a 24oz of Old E. LOL
Coastaldweller said:
Nothing like a jug of Carlo! I also enjoy a nice BOX as well. It serves for many useful applications. Once the bladder is empty you can use it as a flotation device, pillow or a beach ball:)
lol next time ill have to get a box :D
troutdude said:
Today's equation...

2 > 0 (in other words, you did NOT get skunked!)

NICE brown dude. And you ate well too!
I ate great!
OnTheFly said:
Beer then fish then more beer then eat fish. Sounds like a typical day of my own!
doesn't get to much better !

S
steelhead_slayer
Gorgeous

J
jabs67
Nice!!! Glad you had a great time. I love East lake!!!

M
Mad dog
Beautiful brown Shane!!!

Wickiup can be tough this time of the year, a lot of the fish will start collecting in the deschutes arm up towards Browns creek and sheep bridge.

When you are at East and the fish are rising like that, try a #12 olive pheasant tail. East has a good Callebaetis hatch, that's what the fish were most likely after. Also, try slow trolling a whole threaded nightcrawler with a splitshot, just enough weight to keep it over the weedbeds but near the bottom. If it's windy, let the wind blow you and let it drift....you'll catch fish!!! Some big browns for sure! Fish out from cinder hill in 10-25 ft. of water early or late, that is when the big boys come cruising looking for some chow!

O
OnTheDrop
Mad dog said:
Beautiful brown Shane!!!

Wickiup can be tough this time of the year, a lot of the fish will start collecting in the deschutes arm up towards Browns creek and sheep bridge.

When you are at East and the fish are rising like that, try a #12 olive pheasant tail. East has a good Callebaetis hatch, that's what the fish were most likely after. Also, try slow trolling a whole threaded nightcrawler with a splitshot, just enough weight to keep it over the weedbeds but near the bottom. If it's windy, let the wind blow you and let it drift....you'll catch fish!!! Some big browns for sure! Fish out from cinder hill in 10-25 ft. of water early or late, that is when the big boys come cruising looking for some chow!

x2!!! Cinderhill to the Warm Springs...Hold on!

T
Throbbit _Shane
Mad dog said:
Beautiful brown Shane!!!

SteelmonKiller20 said:
x2!!! Cinderhill to the Warm Springs...Hold on!

Ill have to remember this stuff! :D

bass
bass
Thanks for sharing Throbbit_Shane. Sounds like you had a great camping trip and got to catch a couple of really nice fish to top it off.