Mr. Heater hero

R
ResoBob
Mr. Heater has a new forced-air battery operated heater called Hero I was thinking about trying it in my wood drift boat for winter steelhead fishing on the Rogue River. It would go in the bow under the shelf. It is 35,000 BTU with no adjustment and don't know if it would be too hot for the passengers. Does anyone have any experience with these. I've used the radiant tank top units, but they tend to heat up my wood shelf and I don't want to drift down the river in flames. Another option might be to use the unit that has a bracket that I could set on the bottom of the deck well below the shelf and run a hose to it.

Chromatose
Chromatose
ResoBob said:
Another option might be to use the unit that has a bracket that I could set on the bottom of the deck well below the shelf and run a hose to it.
With that set up you can daisy chain multiple heater heads.

D
Dizzy Fisherman
I like my boat to be as light as possible so adding a propane tank would not be my top choice. They also make small heaters that will fit in cup holders. I believe they were designed with golf carts in mind but could work for boats too.

TheKnigit
TheKnigit
35,000 BTU's with no ability to adjust seems awfully hot to me. That heater looks like one that would be nice to run in a shop...not in a boat. We have a propane heater in our drift boat, it came with it when we bought it. It has a small, 1 gallon?, tank that sits in a bracket just aft of the rowers seat. The hose runs under the deck and up to the bow, where the heater sits under the bow cover. I don't really get to feel it from the rowers seat, but I know my grandpa really enjoys it. While it is running, even full bore, you can still touch any of the material around it without fear of getting burned.

Reactions: freednog
R
ResoBob
I like the idea of the one gallon tank. That will give me plenty of propane for a half day trip, which is usually all I do. The one gallon won't add much weight and is small enough not to add more clutter to the boat. Can you tell me what kind of bracket is used to secure the tank?
Appreciate all the help!

TheKnigit
TheKnigit
I believe the bracket is a formed part made by River Wild. However there might be a bolt in bracket you can purchase. I haven't really looked into it. The boat is over on the coast at the moment. I am going over to pick it up over Christmas though. I let you know then.

R
ResoBob
I'll do some internet searches, I'm sure I can manufacture or find something that will work.

MUCH APPRECIATED !

F
fucarewee
ResoBob said:
Mr. Heater has a new forced-air battery operated heater called Hero I was thinking about trying it in my wood drift boat for winter steelhead fishing on the Rogue River. It would go in the bow under the shelf. It is 35,000 BTU with no adjustment and don't know if it would be too hot for the passengers. Does anyone have any experience with these. I've used the radiant tank top units, but they tend to heat up my wood shelf and I don't want to drift down the river in flames. Another option might be to use the unit that has a bracket that I could set on the bottom of the deck well below the shelf and run a hose to it.
Put a piece of tin between wood and heater.

Top Bottom