Moving to Multnomah County from out of state with my Triumph 1700CC W/ 60hp outboard

R
Rhm01
New member
Good afternoon! This is my first post as a member of the forum. I am moving to the area from out of state with my boat and I am wondering if you guys/girls think that the boat will be okay for fishing the Columbia/other rivers in the area.
 
  • IMG_6745.jpeg
  • Like
Reactions: Snopro, Chromatose, Admin and 1 other person
I am not a boat guy but that looks quite seaworthy. You will want to learn to check the wind forecasts but I think you could be out on the Columbia most days. You could be out on the Willamette every day. You might want to look up Columbia river anchor (type of anchor) and learn how to set up a quick release system with an anchor ball so you can drop off anchor (if you don't already have that set up).

Places to check the wind:

https://thegorgeismygym.com/

https://www.windy.com/ learn how to check all the forecast models here and trust the worst one!

https://www.windfinder.com/forecast/portland_or make sure you look at the superforecast before you go out. It is only 2 days out but much more accurate.

There are others as well. The general weather forecasts don't do a good job of predicting the wind in the gorge!
 
  • Like
Reactions: Snopro, Chromatose, troutdude and 1 other person
Welcome Rhm01
Center consoles are great, But, In the PNW weather is not conducive for a fair weather craft. Especially when the bite is on and it starts pouring rain. I know, I know, rain gear right? Nope! A guy/girl needs to duck out of the pelting from time to time. As bass mentioned, due your homework and pick your days carefully. Then GO buy a boat more conducive to the PNW weather. Good Luck
 
Chromatose said:
Then GO buy a boat more conducive to the PNW weather. Good Luck
And after you do let me know how much you're asking for the Triumph.;)

It'll be great in the Columbia, Costal bays, or any river you don't have to worry about bottom contact. It's exactly what I'm looking for.
 
@Snopro Fair weather fisher folk are you?
 
Last edited:
Chromatose said:
@Snopro Fair weather fisher folk are you?
I think you're projecting.

Spent my younger years fishing Alaska in an open skiff. Weather is relative. It's rarely anything but fair weather down here.
 
Highly doubtful about the projecting. You quoted me. I responded. I also did not ask you about your past, since we all have one. My point is that Triumphs are fair weather boats and with that said that a person should pick their days wisely in the PNW.
 
Chromatose said:
My point is that Triumphs are fair weather boats
And mine is I disagree with your assessment of the Triumph as being only a fair weather boat.

In your opinion, what boats are "conductive to the PNW weather"?
 
Snopro said:
In your opinion, what boats are "conductive to the PNW weather"?

If your going to quote me please feel free to spell my quote correctly.
The OP asked a question asking what others think. I answered his/her question. You are entitled to your thoughts as am I.
 
Snopro said:
In your opinion, what boats are "conductive to the PNW weather"?
this one looks quite PNW weatherproof )

522629266_1296040435859990_3766895804533040248_n.jpg
 
  • Like
Reactions: Irishrover, bass and Snopro
If you want to get out in really rough conditions you need a kayak :)

One thing I noticed this year compared to past years is that I see a lot more bass boats out on rough days. I am not sure if it's that newer boats take rough water better ir if they are just getting braver.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Snopro
Rhm01 said:
Good afternoon! This is my first post as a member of the forum. I am moving to the area from out of state with my boat and I am wondering if you guys/girls think that the boat will be okay for fishing the Columbia/other rivers in the area.
You will be fine on calm weather days. The Columbia can turn on a dime so make sure you watch the wind. You start seeing whitecaps and rollers you will want to stay closer to shore. And always wear your life jacket or inflatable life preserver.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Irishrover
Rhm01 said:
Good afternoon! This is my first post as a member of the forum. I am moving to the area from out of state with my boat and I am wondering if you guys/girls think that the boat will be okay for fishing the Columbia/other rivers in the area.
The Columbia is okay except on high wind days when it gets rough, then the chop can make for a real rough ride for smaller craft. The channel section by Wallace island can get exceptionally dangerous under high wind/outgoing tide conditions. I had a 21ft deep draft boat that could handle the chop with ease but the Wallace area got real scary one time. Today I have a 16.5ft fishing boat and I avoid the choppy water days. The estuary section has a 6 - 7 tidal range, while at Sauvies Island the range is about 1.5ft.
The bar is another story. Sand bars and shallows are present in places on the Columbia and on the Willamette above the falls.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Fisherman Si
They key to the Columbia River, is to not be out there in a small open bow boat when there is a strong up river wind blowing against a down river current. This situation creates taller wave at short intervals. Over the years I have fished the Columbia from its mouth to Boardman and found that the wind will dictate which days I venture out no matter where I am on the river. With no wind and glass like conditions the river can be a great place, but it can turn into a monster in a heart beat.

For some real fun, invest in some crab pots and head for Nehalem Bay, Tillamook Bay, Alsea Bay or many of the other estuaries.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Admin

Similar threads

bass
Replies
0
Views
490
bass
bass
bass
Replies
0
Views
639
bass
bass
bass
Replies
2
Views
426
bass
bass
bass
Replies
2
Views
911
bass
bass
bass
Replies
1
Views
758
troutdude
troutdude
Back
Top Bottom