Most boring trip ever?

18406ej
18406ej
So what was your most boring Trout fishing experience ever?

Mine was last Summer up at Kinney Lake outside of Joseph in Eastern Oregon. Kinney is a beautiful smaller lake with a majestic view of the mountains rising straight up around you. It was a clear and warm morning, and I set out with my bubble-and-fly on my spinning rod. First cast out, reeling back in- Bam! Fish on! I don't eat Trout so I gently released my catch and cast out again- Bam! Fish on! I repeated step 2. Bam! Bam! Bam! So many stupid Trout and all on the first cast! I was able to tolerate this for about 20 minutes before I gave up and moved over to Wallowa Lake. At least there I knew that I would have to work for it.

EJ

S
Spydeyrch
18406ej said:
So what was your most boring Trout fishing experience ever?

Mine was last Summer up at Kinney Lake outside of Joseph in Eastern Oregon. Kinney is a beautiful smaller lake with a majestic view of the mountains rising straight up around you. It was a clear and warm morning, and I set out with my bubble-and-fly on my spinning rod. First cast out, reeling back in- Bam! Fish on! I don't eat Trout so I gently released my catch and cast out again- Bam! Fish on! I repeated step 2. Bam! Bam! Bam! So many stupid Trout and all on the first cast! I was able to tolerate this for about 20 minutes before I gave up and moved over to Wallowa Lake. At least there I knew that I would have to work for it.

EJ

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

EJ ....... if only all of us were as lucky as you are!!! hahahahaha.

I know of many many people that wisht they could catch fish onthe first cast. hahahahahahaha

:D :D :D :D :D :D

-Spydey

P
PNW Sam
Pretty much any trip using PowerBait.

troutdude
troutdude
Spydeyrch said:
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

EJ ....... if only all of us were as lucky as you are!!! hahahahaha.

I know of many many people that wisht they could catch fish onthe first cast. hahahahahahaha

:D :D :D :D :D :D

-Spydey

X 2.

I certainly would NOT be bored, catching fish on every cast!

B
benkearney
I had a similar experience on the McKenzie with a fly rod. Must have hit a pocket of stockers. Every other cast some 6-8" stocker would swallow my fly. After shaking about 8 dumb-as-nails-stockers off my line in a dozen casts I moved up river to see if I could find some natives. One even took my fly as it was bouncing in the current while I had the rod tucked under my arm to take a picture of an eagle.

Of course, I've had days on the McKenzie where I would practically kill for a bite from a stocker, so...go figure.

18406ej
18406ej
Spyde-

I enjoy stretching the truth, but this is actually a factual report. Believe me, I have never had a fish on the first cast on any other occasion, and the hooking/unhooking quickly became tedious. I think that I enjoy fishing because the empty time gives me a chance to think. There was no thinking time that day. I pretty much only fish Steelhead now and believe me, I have had a LOT of time to think.

Benkearney, yes I think they must have just stocked the pond, and the entire lake was on an early morning rise.

Last edited:
C
cowboysfan
OK Eamon this truly is a no joke story, My brother in law worked security for the R2 ranch around madras they have land from Madras to Shanico, He has a pond prolly 5 acres with computerized floats for water level and auto feeders for the fish, anyway my brother took me there to fish and i fished for about 2 hrs and caught rainbows every cast, I know that is ok but nothing new, here is the good part every one of them was probably 6 lbs at the smallest. I have never experienced anything like that and probably never will again, I actualy got bored of catching these Trout. Evidently he built the lake and stocked it with these huge trout so his Grandkids could have some where to fish. I wish I would have a Grandpa like that!

L
lilsalmon
Sheesh.....those boring trout. :lol:

boring is.....anywhere plunking

Troutski
Troutski
While on one of those all inclusive trips in Canada my guide took me to a place that was something out of movie. A blue ribbon river dumping into a very large lake, he told me to cast a spoon towards the river from his boat; every cast I had a fish on, if they spit the lure with in one crank I had another. These were what is called "Shakers" in this part of Canada, these fish averaged 21"... after about an hour my guide told me to reel in and we would go after some real fish. I must admit I talked him out of it for another hour and a half, then my arms gave out.... not saying it was boring but I did grow physically tired of catching these Shakers. Once we left and started trolling I caught the Bull Trout of a life time. I guess one should listen to some one you are paying .
Here is a picture of said fish..... a real heart stopper.

Chuck
121_2131.JPG

T
Throbbit _Shane
Troutski said:
While on one of those all inclusive trips in Canada my guide took me to a place that was something out of movie. A blue ribbon river dumping into a very large lake, he told me to cast a spoon towards the river from his boat; every cast I had a fish on, if they spit the lure with in one crank I had another. These were what is called "Shakers" in this part of Canada, these fish averaged 21"... after about an hour my guide told me to reel in and we would go after some real fish. I must admit I talked him out of it for another hour and a half, then my arms gave out.... not saying it was boring but I did grow physically tired of catching these Shakers. Once we left and started trolling I caught the Bull Trout of a life time. I guess one should listen to some one you are paying .

Chuck

WOW!! :shock:

C
cowboysfan
Troutski said:

Chuck

sometimes we let our pride get in the way and feel we know what is best, I would have had a hard time leaving too!

E
eggs
Any trip with OnTheFly, BigSteel, or FlyBum is pretty damn boring!!

O
OnTheFly
I know the feeling EJ. There've been times I've been at Harriet Lake where you couldn't even finish a beer or eat a sandwich before the next fish was on. You would either have to keep your line out of the water or run the risk of dying of thirst or starving to death. What a nuisance. I hate that.

O
OnTheFly
eggs said:
Any trip with OnTheFly, BigSteel, or FlyBum is pretty damn boring!!
That's 'cause you pass out and don't remember anything.

E
eggs
OnTheFly said:
That's 'cause you pass out and don't remember anything.

Lol your right I can't handle my beer at all!

O
OnTheFly
eggs said:
Lol your right I can't handle my beer at all!
You should really cut it down to only one case a night.:rolleyes:

troutdude
troutdude
Troutski said:

Chuck

To paraphrase Crocodile Dundee <in the voice of your guide>..."those weren't fish; now HERE's a fish!"

Holy Mackerel! Man, that's not a bull trout...it's the mother of all things NOOK!!!

Troutski
Troutski
troutdude said:
To paraphrase Crocodile Dundee <in the voice of your guide>..."those weren't fish; now HERE's a fish!"

Holy Mackerel! Man, that's not a bull trout...it's the mother of all things NOOK!!!

Well in all honesty they call them Dolly Varden in Canada, not quite sure what the difference is but who cares.....:dance:

Chuck

18406ej
18406ej
Troutski said:
[/FONT]not quite sure what the difference is but who cares....

Chuck

Chuck,

I spoke to the fish about this and many of them feel that the difference is (at least socially) quite substantial. A lot of the Dolly Varden were, to be frank, more than a little bit pissy when I put the question to them. The Bull Trout didn't care as much and told me that the Dollies have always been snobbish.

Sincerely,

EJ