Molalla Table Rock lakes access?

M
Modest_Man
I'm looking at Emerald, Joyce, and Cougar lakes. My fishing in Oregon book (2000) says it's privately owned by a lumber company with no access. Online it seems that Weyerhaeuser started a permit program ($250?) in the 2000's sometime that allowed access, and now I've found comments from 2009 that the permit program was discontinued and you can access it for free (or with a Northwest Forest Pass?)

Anyone know what's up with the process? :think:

If anyone has specific directions that would be sweet. I've been up to Pine Creek bridge but no farther.

I'm going to go hike Table Rock in the morning and then try to find a lake or two or fish the upper Molalla for trout all day if anyone wants to come along. PM me or text me at 253-347-0828. I'll be leaving Woodburn before 8.

Last edited by a moderator:
M
Modest_Man
No one knows anything eh? Let's hope I'm not trespassing!

M
Modest_Man
Well here's a late report. First of started the day attempting to hike to Table Rock from Rooster Rock. It was a failure. Road was clear to the trailhead but after about 600 feet elevation gain I hit lots of snow (even on the south facing slope; I'd hoped for better access). Followed the trail to the ridgeline but started to lose the trail every few feet until I couldn't find it at all. Turned around since I was by myself without GPS or a map and compass.

Can you see the trail?
5816933519_500d2bc7b4_b.jpg

Let's play find the Subaru. This is at 200mm zoom. Should have taken one with the 28mm but I doubt you could have seen the car.
5816935175_12abf0fcd5_b.jpg

On the way back down stopped at random pull offs and fished. On my third cast of the day in the pool below I got a 6" parr on a bead head nymph. I wouldn't get anything else for 6 hours.
5816936645_7f4246405d_b.jpg

Continued down and attempted to find Emerald lake, but the access road I thought it was was gated and blocked WELL before the lake. I need a GPS. Next time I'll try for Joyce or Cougar lake.

Here's a couple shots of the "Molalla eye". I didn't fish, just took some shots.
5817504630_0902df1eca_b.jpg

5817506490_7f8ce4a7f3_b.jpg

Panorama
5816943219_219a81d12b_b.jpg

On the way out I stopped at Feyrer Park and went to a nice spot I know. Landed one 12" fat cutthroat after several strikes and called it a day.

J
JKham
Wow, Feyrrer Park looks awesome. Might be a good place to spend more time at.

M
Modest_Man
I don't have any photos of Feyrer park. The park is nice but not as nice as farther up. The Molalla eye is up several miles from the park.

J
JKham
I'm going to ask my co-worker about this area, she's a local and has directed me to the Molalla area before for fishing.

G
Growbug
hmm... the lakes you mentioned are all on Weyerhauser. Until 2010 they DID allow permit access, but for the last two years, this hasnt been the case as they have been actively logging off some of the access roads. Hopefully it will open up again next year.
If you were fishing near the 'eye' you should check the regs. Fishing stops at Pine Creek bridge, which is the first bridge you come to higher up than GLen Avon. Its the bridge thats a single lane concrete, with gravel parking, etc on one side.

M
Modest_Man
Growbug said:
hmm... the lakes you mentioned are all on Weyerhauser. Until 2010 they DID allow permit access, but for the last two years, this hasnt been the case as they have been actively logging off some of the access roads. Hopefully it will open up again next year.
If you were fishing near the 'eye' you should check the regs. Fishing stops at Pine Creek bridge, which is the first bridge you come to higher up than GLen Avon. Its the bridge thats a single lane concrete, with gravel parking, etc on one side.

If I'm reading the regulations correctly the deadline is just for salmon/steelhead fishing. The whole river opened up for trout on the 28th of May. If it was closed all year above Pine Bridge the river would be red on page 46. Like Moose creek just below it in the special regulations (and how Moose Creek is red on page 47). If it's not listed in the special regulations it would follow the statewide regs - "Streams: catch and release only, except as noted under Special Regulations."

asdf-4.png

Though I've been wrong before.

Last edited:
C
cookshot
I know this is an old thread, but as far as I know you can fish Joyce, I have a couple buddies who did a few weekends ago. I might give it a shot next weekend on the ice. If I do I'll let you know.

Top Bottom