Minn Kota Steering Awkwardness

Hey, Fellow Pontooneers: How do you solve the Minn Kota throttle control awkwardness? My Outcast 9' has the motor mount center (of course) but this means that the reach around back (in a non swivel seat) is difficult, uncomfortable and maddening after a mere minute. Is there some kind of offset mounting solution? Offset handle solution? I suppose I could stand up and steer with my ...er...um...buttocks, but I'm pretty sure I'd be busted by the Sheriff for an unnatural act with a multi-hulled watercraft.
How do you guys deal with this?

Bernie

Try one of these:

HelmsMate Extension Handles

I actually have a project to make a remote control box for teh trolling motor's rheostat. I have an old minn kota that I couldnt find the original parts for, but has a similar rheostat that works but doesn't fit in the original housing. I had a plan to cut the top portion of the motor and just have the shaft and prop mounted to the toon. A 3 feet power extention to a remote box holding the rheostat sitting in my tackle pouch will act as the throttle control. I should be able to steer with some fins and control the motor without reaching behind.

I am not an expert on toons. In fact the very opposite of that. But with my limited knoledge what if a guy mounted a bow mont motor on the rear deck and ran the foot control up to the foot deck/stand to make it an easy sitting opperation hands free. I know most tonns come with the bare minimum but most of the ones I have seen you guys post pics of have been upgraded to a higher seat with an actual deck in the front for feat and a deck in the stern. So with this picture in mind I can see this working very well.

In the last couple years i've read posts where a few members have used aluminum to make a front footrest & mounted a trolling motor to aluminum plate between your feet. I think Ninja was one who did this. Put the battery in a box behind seat. I don't have a Pontoon.

Best of Luck to ye Bernie...

:)

Yes, I've heard of this front mounting option, but it's awful busy up front, not to mention that's where my feet are and with my luck...
I was out on the Willamette today and worked out an improved steering situation by leaving an oar trailing off the side and using it as a rudder when needed. It was much better than steering only with the throttle handle. The whole thing is complicated by the whimsical nature of a fully inflated pontoon in any kind of wind. There must be a ride at Disney World like this!

Yes, I've heard of this front mounting option, but it's awful busy up front, not to mention that's where my feet are and with my luck...
I was out on the Willamette today and worked out an improved steering situation by leaving an oar trailing off the side and using it as a rudder when needed. It was much better than steering only with the throttle handle. The whole thing is complicated by the whimsical nature of a fully inflated pontoon in any kind of wind. There must be a ride at Disney World like this!

When the guys have mounted a AL plate in front for their feetrest, there is plenty of room in between your feet for troll motor. Some even mount a poleholder &/or a fishfinder. That's the way i wood doit if i had pontoon.

To transport a toon i would buy a used small utility trailer. Back trailer into the water. A lot easier on my back.

:lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:
I guess it was someone else that has the Aluminum plate for a footrest.

ninja does have the front adapter for the trolling motor though.

:D:D:D

You can do a search & find some more pics maybe. Or look on Google for ideas

Never done it but got to thinking, with a little tinkering you could rewire the foot control to a hand control, think of an electric wheel chair. I think it would be pretty simple, same basic concept. have a slide for speed and an toggle for direction. just a thought...

Oh, you can also put a swivel under the seat, will raise you out of the water about an inch but give you the ability to turn sideways and put less stress on your back.

I think the swivel seat is the best next option for me. I can stand on mine , too, balancing on the side frame, but without a balance bar, it's not a smart thing to do....but feels good when you're out for a couple of hours.

Top Bottom