You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly. You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Medium or medium heavy?
B
Browning
0
Bimart has all rods for 20% off this week. I'd been thinking about one of the Berkley Air IM8's for awhile. This will be mostly used for fall & winter steelies. Which route should I go, medium or MH?
I already have a medium light. Dont tell me I dont need another rod! I figured with higher, faster waters, and bigger fish a stiffer rod would be needed? Enlighten me?!
Last edited:
A
alseaalumaweld
didn't know u could have to many. i drift with 6 in my boat id like to get a cople more
M
meluvtrout
0
Browning said:
I already have a medium light. Dont tell me I dont need another rod! I figured with higher, faster waters, and bigger fish a stiffer rod would be needed? Enlighten me?!
I was fishing with a medium Lami G1307 and couldn't really tell soft bites on that rod. When I tried a friend of mine's Certified Pro 96JC I realized how many potential bites I were missing so I went out and bought one. Then I bought the spinning rod for the same model 96JS and couldn't be happier! Both rods are rated 6-15 and easily can take a 20lb+ fish. They say medium on them, but if you compare to Bimart IM8s they are medium light.
B
Bob Balcombe
0
What style of fishing, drift, back bouncing, bonedogleing, plunking Bobber and Jig? Do you use Plugs, Spinners,Bait, do you want a sensative rod?
B
Browning
0
Bob Balcombe said:
What style of fishing, drift, back bouncing, bonedogleing, plunking Bobber and Jig? Do you use Plugs, Spinners,Bait, do you want a sensative rod?
It would be used primarily for bait/drift fishing from the bank.
S
steelhead_stalkers
Well-known member
Medium would be good for a bigger bait rod. I like a medium rod for roe under a float in higher winter conditions! Good luck.
B
Bob Balcombe
0
Not knowing river conditions you would fishing, in my opinion. I would use 2 rods both would be 9 Ft. one would be a light / medium and the other would be a medium/heavy both should have a fast tip. I fish 4 rivers here in W. Washington. That can change almost over night (I build my own custom rods 30 plus) So no 2 of my rods have the same guides or guide spacing. Lamiglas and St Croix both have excellent rods. If it were me I would give Josh at call at Lamiglas. Josh is their blank designer, He is a fantastic Steelheader and river Salmon fisherman. He may have a better suggestion for you, besides if you have a problem he is closer to you. I never trust a salesman, most of them do not know how a blank is constructed or the difference in materials used
Last edited:
B
Browning
0
Well, I couldn't decide between the Berkley Air IM8 8-12 or the Lami Rogue River Special 10-25. So I bought them both I believe I'm set :lol: Kinda weird on the Lami. It had the "Handcrafted in Woodland, Wa" on it. I had heard the RR specials were Chinese rods. I called Lami and was told they had some "Labor issues in China" and did a few runs of these rods here in the USA. She added it had the limited lifetime warranty. I think I did ok getting both rods for $135..
B
Bob Balcombe
0
To know if your Lamiglas rods are made in China, the warrenty cards will be in PINK
B
Browning
0
And there's a sticker on the butt that says "Made in China" :lol:
what length and action did you end up getting spinning or casting? i was actually looking at a lamiglas salmon rod for swimbaits at bi-mart hahahah
Y
youngbuck307
1
I use to use a IM8 8-14 9'6 and thought it was a good drift rod then i picked up a cheap 4-8 10ft rod and was able to pick up a lot more bits... landed a 18lb steel on it too....lighter rods do just fine when there over 8'6 i think.