Lower Willamette, 4-14-13, more sturgeon from the kayak

bass
bass
I took a break from my quest to figure out the upper river sturgeon and decided to partake in the easy lower river sturgeon fishing today around George Rogers today. I was anchored up and fishing by 8am. I knew the outgoing did not start until around 10am but I figured the fish should still be pretty active anyway. 2 hours and 4 moves later and I had not even gotten a bite yet. I was starting to feel pretty desperate.

I made my 5th move back to where I started the day. I was still marking a ton of fish (same as at the start of the day) but the good news was that they had started feeding. I threw out my anchovy without a lot of confidence and then felt that familiar tap, tap, tap. I reeled up to set the circle hook and had a nice fish on. It ended up being a really nice keeper in the 4 foot range. What a great first fish!

I now felt really good. I rebaited and tossed back out. A few minutes later another tap, tap, tap. I set the hook again and this time the drag just started ripping off my reel! Oh, yeah. This is a big fish.

sIrTm3J.jpg

After a tough 23 minute fight I was able to finally wrestle this ~6.5 footer to the side of the yak.

CI3PmKl.jpg

There were quite a few sea lions around today so I only took a quick pick of the oversized, dragged her for a few feet to resuscitate her and then let her go.

Next fish was another big keeper in the 4’ range. Then a few minutes later I hooked another big fish. After about a 10 minute fight I was able to get this 5 footer to the boat.

wp4m6kP.jpg

So, my first 4 fish were 2 oversized and 2 big keeper sized. I have never had a day start like that! I ended up with 18 sturgeon before I ran out of bait. 2 oversized, 6 keepers and 10 shakers. About 1/2 the shakers were near bottom end legal, the other 1/2 were dinks. The other keepers I caught were in the low 40s.

The bite was so good once it started I did not get to eat lunch. There were tons of jumpers all day long. Water temp was 47-48. I did see one salmon caught by a fur bag - none by humans. The sea lions were around me all day so I tried to do most of my fighting pretty inconspicuously. That worked since even though I fought many of the fish near them, they never came over to investigate.

I posted this next pic on another thread, but I liked this guy. He just sat there most of the day and never bothered me.

3Sm4a8b.jpg

With my last anchovy I caught this nice keeper:

s7D9LTz.jpg

After that I decided to just go home rather than staying to torment the bass. When I got home my wife met me in the garage and asked how my day went. She assumed I came home early because I was having a bad day - I have never left early on a good day before in my life. I told her I came home because I ran out of bait. She gave me a huge smile and said that is not a bad thing :)

I showered ran to the store and bought some steaks and red wine for dinner. What a great end to a wonderful day of fishing on the river.

R
RoryONeal
Nice story. I need to get myself in to some nice monsters like that. Thanks for the pics.

B
billfisher
very nice report and pictures, what a great day! that's a really cool picture of the 6.5 lber!

troutdude
troutdude
Great report Bass! Good for you!

M
Moe
Great job, I produced nada from the bank over the weekend, its starting to get a little tough! I had so much success these past few months I didn't mind getting skunked haha

E
eugene1
Nice work there bass!

I've tried it down here on the sac river for sturg, but nada so far. You make it look easy,

Best,

T
troutmasta
Thats freaking awesome. Upper river or Lower your name should be Sturgeon not Bass, you get on those things! Nice Job

G
gkrupp
Nice fish!!!

bass
bass
eugene1 said:
Nice work there bass!

I've tried it down here on the sac river for sturg, but nada so far. You make it look easy,

Best,

Actually its not me. The sturgeon in the lower Willamette are generally pretty cooperative and fairly plentiful. I know the kayak guys down in CA have said that the sturgeon are not nearly as plentiful as they are around here.

bass
bass
troutmasta said:
Thats freaking awesome. Upper river or Lower your name should be Sturgeon not Bass, you get on those things! Nice Job

My name is definitely not sturgeon in the upper river, I would have to catch one there first :(