Love my pink worms

D
dozer365
Hit some coastal streams out of the tillamook area Friday and struggled. I started with marabou jigs and spoons. I saw fish in a few runs and used a stealthy approach. No takers. I worked my way around and ended up rethinking my presentations. I tied up a "pink wolly bugger" and added some water based kreel scent. Second cast. Bobber down. Landed a small hatchery winter buck. Bout time. It is the first winter of the season for me. Stopped at a bridge on the Wilson on the way home. Ran down (literally) cuz I was running late for honey do's. Anyway. Firstcast bobber goes sideways. I lift up and a big! Fish flashes and tug head shake slack. !??! Broke my leader mid way between my knots. Duh!
I hadn't rerigged since landing that last fish. I sprinted back up to my truck. Tied up to more jigs and went back to the same clay seam and cast in expecting a take.... Nothing. Went up river a bit worked a few mid stream boulders and nothing.....
As I worked the shore line, I made my way back toward my truck content with 2 hook ups in 20 min running the "worm". But as I reached that little clay ledge I made a few cast about 5 feet off the bank into crystal clear water, running about 3 feet deep. I could see my worm floating just off the bottom. Looked great. So I held my bobber at the edge of an eddy right by my feet and watched my bobber get pulled under!!! Literally 4 feet from me a fish ripped that worm. I set the hook and it ran. Made a few jumps and ran at my feet. I made a rookie mistake and let pressure of my rod tip when I reached to tail it. Since I didn't know if it was a native or not I didn't want to beach it... Anyway.... Fish rolled and spit my jig.
I fished about 20 yards down stream of this bridge and against the far bank next to a undercut bank and a log had another very brief hook up with a steel that jumped and threw the jig at me. I had to cut myself off. I was already running about 2 hours late. Yikes!!! I'm lucky to have a woman who understands my addiction.
I wish I would have tried that worm earlier in the day. I think I might well have had 2-3 more fish on in the holes where I'd blanked with hardware and marabou jigs. Still not a bad day considering a lot of guys are having a hard time hookin up one fish.

B
bigboy70
yup im one of those guys. went out all day local and nada except donated tackle to the river.

killer report im glad someone is catching something

C
ChezJfrey
I spoke to Adrian today and when I mentioned our pink worm fish, he told me only loser chumps use 'em ;)

A
autofisher
Pink Worms Rock! Lot of people knock em, but I've caught a few fish with them on the upper N. Santiam. Nice report bud, glad to see I'm not the only loser chump that runs em

O
OnTheDrop
White jig head with a 4" pink worm in low light or murkiesh water conditions..... Hmm. They hammer the worm!

Nice report Zer.

T
troutmasta
Ya I was just tying mine on Christmas eve morn when Chez laced into that little chromer. Pink Worms are Awesome!

S
steelhead_stalkers
I would say only "loser chumps" would not use pink worms! They are about the only thing I have seen make a steelhead move across an entire rive to hammer. :D

D
dozer365
love this thing

D
dozer365
steelhead_stalkers said:
I would say only "loser chumps" would not use pink worms! They are about the only thing I have seen make a steelhead move across an entire rive to hammer. :D

Night crawler with a chunk oh yarn or corky will get them to chase it 20+ feet. Bot maybe they can't tell the difference in the frenzy to kill the worm!!!

T
TheGhost
This is my first post but I couldn't pass up a thread on pink worms.

Caught my first steelhead this year on the wilson with a 1/8oz white jig head and a 4" pink worm... It's safe to say i'm hooked on those pink worms already.

D
DrTheopolis
What is the "hackle" on that jig? Is it just marabou?

Welcome, Ghost.

C
ChezJfrey
DrTheopolis said:
What is the "hackle" on that jig? Is it just marabou?

Welcome, Ghost.

I know because I've seen them firsthand...it's a plain jig head, large, ugly (and I mean that in the nicest way there, dozer ;) because we both know my sharpie scribbled spoons are darn ugly as well) piece of yarn wrapped around the worm. It's not always elegant, but it has gotten the job done more times than not...or is that knot?

D
DrTheopolis
Wonder what some black maribou would do on that?

C
ChezJfrey
DrTheopolis said:
Wonder what some black maribou would do on that?

I imagine it would be dandy. I have just used a regular maribou jig, threaded a pink worm tail on it and works fine.

B
bigboy70
I would use bunnybou